How To Compute Efficiency

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KIDD

Reaction score
I am new to all Grain and was wondering if someone could walk me through calculating efficiency. I am brewing 10 gallons and using a 48 qt rubbermaid cooler, with a cpvc manifold. Thanks in advance.

Here is a thread with some info for you. ESPY has what you are looking for in post 5. Most people just use ProMash or BeerSmith to get their numbers, also Ray Daniels book Designing Great Beers has that info.

- magno

I have a site and this is the formula I use to calculate the Brewhouse Efficiency... I know the gravity of the grain I put down is wrong but it's just a quick example on how to use the formula. You can find this site at LS_Grimmy's Beer Math

Hope this helps
LS_Grimmy

Brewhouse Efficiency:

((Original Gravity x 1000) -1000) / (Total Gravity points / Mash Volume in Gallons) = BH Efficiency

Here is an example with an Original Gravity of 1.040 and the following grain bill.

10 lbs 2 Row x 23.4 Gravity Points = 234

1 lb Crystal 40 x 21.5 Gravity Points = 21.5

Total Gravity points = 234 + 21.5 = 255.5

After we have our Total Gravity Points we can now finish our brewhouse efficiency calculation...

((1.040 x 1000) -1000) / (255.5 / 5) = 0.78 or 78%

Thanks guys. i calculated 72 % E using the calculator for our first Pale Ale.

Latest posts

Back