How to clear wine haze

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AndyGoodwin

Reaction score
My wine is currently 2 months old and has finished fermenting, but it is still very murky and is not clearing very fast, it has been sitting for 2 weeks and only has a small amount of sediment at the bottom. I have read about a pectin enzyme I can add or something called Benzonite or similar. Anyone have any good tips? Or should I just leave it?

You should change your ID to AndyGoodWine. What is your recipe? 2 weeks isnt very long. Its better to put pectinase in at the beginning. You also probably have a lot of gas so if you try to fine it now to clear it the gas will keep the particles in suspension and it wont work. A little bit of patience. The easiest way to b e patient I have found is to start another batch! WVMJ

WVMJ said:
You should change your ID to AndyGoodWine. What is your recipe? 2 weeks isnt very long. Its better to put pectinase in at the beginning. You also probably have a lot of gas so if you try to fine it now to clear it the gas will keep the particles in suspension and it wont work. A little bit of patience. The easiest way to b e patient I have found is to start another batch! WVMJ

Haha yeah I might do that, clever play on words

The recipe I will have to find as it is one from the net, don think it had pectine added to it but I do have some. I take it the gass will just clear on its own? Or do I do I shake it or stir it? Is m going to start some Banana wine have been looking at that for ages

Brewer_Jonathan said:
You will need to stir or shake to get the gas out. There are many posts on degassing
looks like I will need to do that as it has been 1 month now and only an in h has cleared it's still cloudy as dish water

Yooper said:
Wait a bit. No need to rush it. It should clear on its own quite a bit in another month or so, and then some finings can be used. Don't shake or stir!
Ok I'll leave it for now, I had one in a small bottle as it didn't all fit in my 2 carboys so I shook that one a lot, I guess it has the same effect as shaking coke? The gas eventually goes away, which will then allow sediment to drop?
It tastes damn strong and still very sweet, I think there was a bit to much sugar but I like it. One is clearer than it was I shall add pics if I can figure out how. Any one know how I do that?

Ok I'll leave it for now, I had one in a small bottle as it didn't all fit in my 2 carboys so I shook that one a lot, I guess it has the same effect as shaking coke? The gas eventually goes away, which will then allow sediment to drop?
It tastes damn strong and still very sweet, I think there was a bit to much sugar but I like it. One is clearer than it was I shall add pics if I can figure out how. Any one know how I do that?

Thisbisnit after 1 and a half months. Starting to clear but very slow

ForumRunner_20131207_214622.jpg

Attachments

• ForumRunner_20131207_214556.jpg
    ForumRunner_20131207_214556.jpg
    33.5 KB · Views: 210
Back