How to clean MLT with false bottom?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pym99

Reaction score
How do you clean a 10 gallon rubbermaid mash tun with a false bottom without disassembling it?

I've got the 12 inch false bottom from Northern Brewer attached via a stiff, short hose with clamps a hose barb to the bargain fittings coupler and bulk head. How can I get all the bits of grain out without taking the whole thing apart, cutting up my hands on the hose clamps, etc.? (He types with bleeding fingers...)

Any ideas?

4432912237_96c4cd0b88_o.jpg

I have the same thing, but I don't use hose clamps
I take the false bottom out to clean it

Clean it with FIRE!

Or take it out. Your choice. Sometimes the cleaning is the most tedious. it helps to have a HB by your side while you do it.

I used to have one of those... no hose clamps needed, then just pop it out to clean, that is the only way.

I use a brass/copper union and just get it hand tight. After the grain gets dumped out it's super simple to undo the diptube and pull out the false bottom.

PICT3928.JPG

I also just use a tube with no clamps and remove to clean. I like the union method better though as you wouldnt have to worry about hitting and disconnecting the tube when stirring. Maybe I will make some modifications before brewing tonite...

I have the same false bottom and mash tun but don't use hose clamps. I cut the tubing long enough so that it's very snug. I have to lift the false bottom to get the tubing off. I've never knocked it out of place while stirring the mash. I just try to be careful when stirring in that area.

I have the same false bottom and mash tun but don't use hose clamps. I cut the tubing long enough so that it's very snug. I have to lift the false bottom to get the tubing off. I've never knocked it out of place while stirring the mash. I just try to be careful when stirring in that area.

Yes, that's how mine is, too.

Is your getting any use lately? I am going start heating some water in about 10 minutes!

:off:
I was going to brew today, but I still have that "plague" a bit. I'm shooting for Wednesday. You're welcome to come over if you'd like.

It is so nice today, I contemplated pushing the whole rig out the door to brew outside. But I don't know if my CFC hoses will reach outside.

Back