How to chill a tank?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jambafish

Reaction score
I asked this question on ProBrewer and thought I'd post here as well.

I'm pushing 200 gallons of hot liquid from my electric kettle to a variable capacity stainless wine tank. I need to cool that to 75 degrees overnight, but I can't afford glycol for this process. Any ideas? Obviously, using a regular wort chiller wouldn't work since the tank it too large.

Im thinking with those volumes a plate/CFC would be your best bet. Maybe to save on water consumption/waste make some sort of water conservation thing where you have a couple tanks of cold water to transfer from through the chiller and then to other drums for collection and future reuse. Something kind of like this system only beefed up.
https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f51/wort-cooling-water-system-426662/

spare brewery real estate for the water containers may be an issur though.

Thanks for the ideas. I'll research the thread cited. Space may be an issue, but we'll see.

I would set the 200 gal up with a continuous recirculation through a wort chiller in a bucket that is in a chest freezer. Freeze the the wort chiller in the bucket a few days prior to maximize the length of time before it completely melts. Of course the more water you have frozen the longer you will have it cooling. And as long as it stays in the freezer, the base water will begin to chill once it hits the peak of the heat transfer. If your pumping the cooled liquid back into the vat you should maximize the cooling effect. Of course, this is all in theory.

Edit: This is what i will be doing once I begin building my setup. for both cooling my wort, and keeping a steady temp in the fermentation chamber.

Back