How to carbonate when using an ale yeast?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

zadamxtr

Reaction score
So I have always used something like a wine or champagne yeast, which can tolerate alcohol well past the point where my brew gets to, so to carbonate I just add a bit mroe sugar.

However that got me thinking... If I were to try something like an Ale yeast to keep some of the sugar in there, surely that would mean that the carbonation wont work since the alcohol content is already too high for the yeast to ferment any more?

Yeasts love sugar as a food. They metabolise it and make alcohol.
Yeasts struggle to digest complex sugars but cider apples basically release sugar.
Grapes are similar when fermented.
If the alcohol level gets too high the yeast stops this might mean residual sugars remain.

Mashing beer grains does not make pure sugar hence beer yeast in the majority leaves some sweetness.
Unless you use Brett or an sta positive yeast that have different enzymes to standard ale yeast.

With beer and ale, yes. With cider, wine and mead no. Unless you exceed the yeast's alcohol tolerance any yeast will take cider dry.
Yeah, I'm thinking of yeasts that can only withstand lower alcohol levels, eg around 5%. Given that my regular technique gives me around 6-7%, I would assume that using a lower alcohol tollerance yeast, which for example can only tolerate up to 5%, would leave behind some sugar right? If thats the case, how would I carbonate?

Yeah, I'm thinking of yeasts that can only withstand lower alcohol levels, eg around 5%. Given that my regular technique gives me around 6-7%, I would assume that using a lower alcohol tollerance yeast, which for example can only tolerate up to 5%, would leave behind some sugar right? If thats the case, how would I carbonate?
I'm not aware of any low alcohol yeasts that are available to the homebrewer. And if there was one, you'd not be able to carbonate once the yeast quits.

I’m in a similar situation with some mead that I am making. I’ve been considering adding a small amount of water or apple juice, in order to dilute the ABV down below the alcohol tolerance for the yeast. However I’ve never done this before and I’ve never herd of anyone doing it. Therefore I have no clue how much to dilute it.

Has anyone done this?
Or have any idea where to start?

I'll just add what's been said already. If you're using any ale or wine yeast, you shouldn't have to 'dilute' or anything like that to carbonate. Just add sugar. If you're really worried, get some conditioning yeast, bottle and wait a week and you should have bubbly. If you really want to get more accurate, use one of those gauge things in the lid of an empty 16oz soda bottle, wait until it is 25-35 psi and then cold crash.

Back