How To Build A Hop Spider To Filter Hops From Your Wort

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well, I used the spider and it worked like a charm. I actually forgot to put my first hop addition in the spider, but the rest of them got the spider treatment.

One thing: DO NOT PUT YOUR LID ON THE SPIDER WHILE BOILING!!

I was stupid enough to do this, since it was really windy and leaves were falling all over the place. Well, the PVC can't take the temps that build up when you do that, and it started to fold. I caught it in time, and now it actually works better since the bag sits lower in the wort. Anyway, don't do that.

could a larger sized "tin" can be used instead of the pvc? i put tin in "" cuz i actually have no clue if cans are actually made out of tin anymore. LOL

anyway, assuming you found one in a size you liked, couldn't you use the can instead of the plastic?

could a larger sized "tin" can be used instead of the pvc? i put tin in "" cuz i actually have no clue if cans are actually made out of tin anymore. LOL

anyway, assuming you found one in a size you liked, couldn't you use the can instead of the plastic?

I believe they are made of a mild steel now. I do know that they will rust, so using a can is a no-go.

did you use a needle to sew that stuff together? Was the mesh just in a sheet and you had to sew it together going up the cylinder and the bottom part?

If you have a parts list that would be awesome, I'm not entirely sure what SS lock wire is

It was a 12x12 sheet for the shaft. And a scrap piece for the bottom. I didn't use needles or gloves to sew it together. Just alot of swearing and nicks and cuts.

I believe they are made of a mild steel now. I do know that they will rust, so using a can is a no-go.

how about a cheap aluminium pot (like of of those small backpacking pots)? places like wally world sell them for crazy cheap. a quick go at it with the dremel and you'd have an open metal tube that would be impervious to melting (such as is the pvc).

how about a cheap aluminium pot (like of of those small backpacking pots)? places like wally world sell them for crazy cheap. a quick go at it with the dremel and you'd have an open metal tube that would be impervious to melting (such as is the pvc).

That could work

If you use a pot, make sure the edges are roll or not sharp or it will cut the bag.

Here is mine, 6x4 CPVC reducer. Used a roto zip to carve a channel for the worm clamp. Rock Solid.

image001.jpg

P1040374.jpg

byproxy said:

That would probably work, but the only way you're gonna melt this thing is if you stick the top on it. Otherwise, it's fine. Let me know how it turns out if you decide to go that route.

If you use a pot, make sure the edges are roll or not sharp or it will cut the bag.

Here is mine, 6x4 CPVC reducer. Used a roto zip to carve a channel for the worm clamp. Rock Solid.

Looks great, I'm digging the channel, that's a smart addition to the build.

Using my spider again today while I brew my Blonde Rye from AHS. Anyone else built one of these?

Used mine yesterday as well, worked great right up to the point where the sides folded in. I think the 3/8 bolts were too much weight, I have some smaller 1/4" all thread rod I will use for the next attempt. I also have a backup idea for the CPVC folding problem. I have these at my office (see pic below) they are 3" wide and the threads at the bottom may help if the clamp ever decides to slip. Powder coated aluminum. I can "add" as many sections as I need to drop the bag lower in the kettle.

Used mine yesterday as well, worked great right up to the point where the sides folded in. I think the 3/8 bolts were too much weight, I have some smaller 1/4" all thread rod I will use for the next attempt. I also have a backup idea for the CPVC folding problem. I have these at my office (see pic below) they are 3" wide and the threads at the bottom may help if the clamp ever decides to slip. Powder coated aluminum. I can "add" as many sections as I need to drop the bag lower in the kettle.

Did you have your pot's lid on it? Mine started to melt like that as well, but this time I had no issues. I even rested my spoon in the hop bag, which helped keep the bag submerged. No melting, it was rock solid the whole time. These need proper airflow around them or they will melt.

Did you have your pot's lid on it? Mine started to melt like that as well, but this time I had no issues. I even rested my spoon in the hop bag, which helped keep the bag submerged. No melting, it was rock solid the whole time. These need proper airflow around them or they will melt.

Na, no lids, but I was brewing inside my shed, no real wind to speak of, maybe that was part of the problem, I dunno.

jbrookeiv said:
The CPVC looks pretty damn sturdy, and it'll be super simple to drill. Either way would work, though.

Yeah, I think I'll go that route, plus its got a wider mouth. If it still gives me problems I can always use the aluminum. Did you use the 1 gallon or 5 gallon paint strainers?

Yeah, I think I'll go that route, plus its got a wider mouth. If it still gives me problems I can always use the aluminum. Did you use the 1 gallon or 5 gallon paint strainers?

1 gallon. 5 gallon would touch the bottom and would probably burn/melt at some point.

Do you find the paint strainers mess tight enough? I have been using a fine nylon bag, but have the paint strainer bags also.

Do you find the paint strainers mess tight enough? I have been using a fine nylon bag, but have the paint strainer bags also.

I had 6 hop additions to make 1/2 oz each except the first was 3/4 oz, I was just about to add the 5th and final hop addition when the spider died, but up until then, it was working like a champ, the smell of hops was abundant! I had a 1/2 X 2" SS nipple down in the bag as well holding the bag in place. I would dare say I was getting BETTER hop utilization with the spider than just tossing them in the kettle. I don't know about anyone else but when I add hops to my boil it foams up a big green foam blob, which dies down fairly quickly, but leavs a nice green coating on the sides of the BK. Sure I try to knock most of it back in, but lets face it, its a loss no matter which way you look at it.

So yeah, I got off track, YES the paint strainers were working like a champ, much better than hop sacks I can buy at my LHBS.

Nice works guys, I'm going to have to make one of these!

As I can see this being a well used new piece of kit, I'd like to make it as durable possible, so the SS mesh route is the one for me.

I suspect there's a tradeoff between wort flow through the mesh, and hop matter staying in the mesh. Does anyone have any feedback as to which mesh is best? McMaster-Carr has a huge selection, so making an uneducated guess could prove costly. I've seen 30x30, with .013 wire being used...but is that the best choice?

Thanks in advance for the feedback!

- Robert

DeadHead_Brewering said:
Nice works guys, I'm going to have to make one of these!

As I can see this being a well used new piece of kit, I'd like to make it as durable possible, so the SS mesh route is the one for me.

I suspect there's a tradeoff between wort flow through the mesh, and hop matter staying in the mesh. Does anyone have any feedback as to which mesh is best? McMaster-Carr has a huge selection, so making an uneducated guess could prove costly. I've seen 30x30, with .013 wire being used...but is that the best choice?

Thanks in advance for the feedback!

- Robert

Keep us posted as you get it built. The nylon bags are working very well for me currently, but the stainless setup looks great.

These all look great! The route I took to get a hop strainer is a little different though.
Step 1 get a job at a machine shop
Step 2 find an 8 in diameter X 12 in tall SS basket in the scrap bin
Step 3 pay the $5 that it's worth in scrap
Step 4 clean
Step 5 use on my next brew day

made one yesterday from stainless threaded rod and a 4" pvc coupling. works great with a paint strainer bag.

hopspider.jpg

My pvc spider got soft during a hard boil and sagged into the pot. Next one is going to be cpvc.

I was worried about that. I felt the pvc a few times during the boil and it was warm but didn't melt. The bottom of my pvc is 2 inches above the wort prior to the boil. I lose about 2 gallons of wort due to evaporation, so I have more clearance as the boil goes on. The wort doesn't touch the pvc. But if I find cpvc or a stainless cylinder, I'm swapping out the pvc

made one yesterday from stainless threaded rod and a 4" pvc coupling. works great with a paint strainer bag.

hopspider.jpg

Looks great.

I've tried returning the flow into the bag. Worked OK. I thought about mounting a quick disconnect on the PVC flange to make the connection more secure. I still might do that at some point.

I'm thinking of adding another set of nuts to the threaded rods so that they line up with the outer edges of the kettle. This should keep it from dancing around during the boil

Yea, that'd work. Mine is exactly the size of my kettle, so the end of the bolt almost hangs on the lip of the kettle.

Back