how to age beer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rickyspalding

Reaction score
I have been wondering for quite some time on some possible issues of how I have been aging my beer. These are beers that I have bought. It seemed a common way was a dark dry cool spot. Now my concerns....

I have some beer laying on its side like how you would with wine. I do have some sierra nevada corked which is obviously left on its side but what about bottles that have caps? Will the seal be worn away over time and/or provide a metallic taste to the beer? SHould they all be standing up?

Second part, Sometimes I buy bottles that give recommendations for temperatures , is it significant to follow these temps? I have bottles in a cardboard box (on its side). And I also have some in a fridge standing up. Should I be putting all my beer in the fridge? Or is the fridge even too cold? If its too cold does it stunt the aging process?

Any PROPER recommendations are appreciated.

Thanks,

Rick

I have been wondering for quite some time on some possible issues of how I have been aging my beer. These are beers that I have bought. It seemed a common way was a dark dry cool spot. Now my concerns....

I have some beer laying on its side like how you would with wine. I do have some sierra nevada corked which is obviously left on its side but what about bottles that have caps? Will the seal be worn away over time and/or provide a metallic taste to the beer? SHould they all be standing up?

Second part, Sometimes I buy bottles that give recommendations for temperatures , is it significant to follow these temps? I have bottles in a cardboard box (on its side). And I also have some in a fridge standing up. Should I be putting all my beer in the fridge? Or is the fridge even too cold? If its too cold does it stunt the aging process?

Any PROPER recommendations are appreciated.

Thanks,

Rick

I keep all of them upright, regardless of whether it has a cork or cap. I understand the idea of keeping the cork wet, but I've seen more peopke advise against side storage than for.

The bottles usually just put the serving temp on the label. Normal basement temperatures are advisable if you are looking for maturation. Keeping them in the fridge will slow the aging process.

I also keep them upright, even ones with corks, because I want the yeast to settle on the bottom of the bottle. I've never had any obvious problems with corks drying out, maybe because:

1. With most corks these days it's not as much of a problem
2. My basement is fairly humid
3. Probably most importantly, I end up drinking them before they ever have a chance to dry out

This might be different if you are storing them somewhere really dry; by the way refrigerators are very dry.

50 - 60F is a good temperature for ales and avoiding wide temperature swings is good.

Back