How To Adjust Kegged Beer?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

andy6026

Reaction score
So I've got a batch in the keg that just didn't turn out very well. It's both too malty and bit too high in alcohol content for what I was going for. I don't particularly like it, and I'm not looking forward to drinking the whole keg as is.

Is it unheard of to open the keg and simply some add water? If I do that, do I need to give it a gentle stir, or will it mix itself over a short time?

Thanks!

Sure you can add some water. Even diluting with 5% water makes a tasteable difference. That would be adding a quart to a full keg.

I recommend to pour a half pint and add measured amounts of water to it, like 1/2 oz at a time. Until you like it. Then come back an hour later and pour another half pint and add that same amount of water as to the first one, and taste again. If it's still what you want, go ahead and add the same ratio of water to the keg. Yes, use your long brewing spoon to give it a gentle stir, then close up and purge 5-10x. Or better yet, don't stir and roll the keg for a minute after purging. That will mix much easier and more completely.

Make sure your water is cold and treated with a very small bit of Campden if there's any chlorine in it. Like 1/10 of a tablet, or a small pinch.
The best would be using boiled and chilled water as it has much less dissolved oxygen in it. Boiling for 5 minutes will drive off most O2. Or simply use bottled water.

Now the bitterness will also reduce, as does the body, so it is important you taste well. You can always add more water but you can't remove it. Have another taster present can also help. You don't tell him//her what you did. If they prefer stronger beer, you're out of luck.

Have not added to a keg, but I do mix Perrier with big IPAs right in the glass during the summer (its hot in Texas).
Already carbed and I even like the mineral profile.
Make sure your keg is cold and not overcarbed. I have heard tales of nucleation and overflowing kegs when adding hops etc.

Back