How to add Calcium Carbonate?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jonereb

Reaction score
I'm about to start a batch of muscadine wine. My recipe calls for adding Calcium Carbonate at the beginning of fermentation -- that I should draw off 1/3 of the wine, stir in calcium carbonate, and then slowly mix it into the rest of the wine. But will this risk oxidation?

My experiences with wine are limited, if that. I have generally stuck to producing spontaneously fermented juices... That being said, it is my understanding that prefermentation oxygen increases the reproduction phase of yeast in any substance. So if you were to be mixing in calcium carbonate, or BIcarbonate, prefermentation is the place to do that as long as sanitary practices are taken into consideration. Post fermentation would increase the oxygen contents that you are not looking for. The CO2 produced during fermentation, and released whilst degassing, should be pushing out any oxygen left.

Yeah, but I'm concerned about siphoning off 1/3 of the wine to mix with with calcium carbonate. I suppose even this is giving off gases, so maybe I shouldn't worry.

I'll add it just before adding yeast. In fact, I have already crushed the fruit (initial hydrometer reading of 1.040), added sugar, yeast enzyme, pectic enzyme, and campden. I'll wait 12 hours and take another hydromter reading (expecting 1.090 after adding sugar), then add Calcium Carbonate -- wait another 12 hours, and then add yeast.

I'll add it just before adding yeast. In fact, I have already crushed the fruit (initial hydrometer reading of 1.040), added sugar, yeast enzyme, pectic enzyme, and campden. I'll wait 12 hours and take another hydromter reading (expecting 1.090 after adding sugar), then add Calcium Carbonate -- wait another 12 hours, and then add yeast.

Since you're adding it before fermentation, there is absolutely no risk of oxidation. Oxidation occurs only after fermentation slows and ends. Prefermentation, oxygen is beneficial to the yeast growth.

Thank you for the clarification, Yooper. I have learned so much from you and others other the years.

Since you're adding it before fermentation, there is absolutely no risk of oxidation. Oxidation occurs only after fermentation slows and ends. Prefermentation, oxygen is beneficial to the yeast growth.

What I was trying to get at :p I'm glad it's all figured out

Back