How safe is distilled water?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ElDuderino

Reaction score
I just got a couple of jugs of distilled water from the store. I've seen guys here post about using distilled water when working with yeast and I'm wondering if I should still boil it for fifteen minutes or if people here just trust it out of the jug... I am planning on using it to wash some yeast from a previous fermentation.

Distilled water should be extremely pure in theory. But you can never be too careful. I'd boil it anyway.

If its a commercial product, it should be very clean. There should be no need to boil it, but since its your beer, you might want to boil.

Thanks for the responses... I will probably boil it just so I don't worry about it. It's not like it's a lot of work, I guess...

I would say you are fine...

I use tap water without boiling for topup water when needed. Just shoot it straight into the fermenter from the filter I have attached to my brew-water PEX line.

For yeast washing I would boil it no matter what kind of water you are using. You can never be too safe. Now if it was top up water or something I wouldn't worry about it.

For yeast washing I would boil it no matter what kind of water you are using. You can never be too safe. Now if it was top up water or something I wouldn't worry about it.

What if it is top up water in a batch that you will be yeast washing?

What if it is top up water in a batch that you will be yeast washing?

What if it's the irrigation water for the grain you will be using to... I still wouldn't bother.

To windbreaker, tap water (unless coming from a well or you under a boil warning) is just as safe and sanitary as bottled water it just doesn't come in a plastic container and cost you $1 a gallon.

I thought the point of boiling water used for yeast washing was to remove the oxygen from the water (and sanitize, of course). I've only washed a couple of times, so I very well could be under the wrong impression, but I thought that the yeast LIKE oxygen, so the lack of oxygen would help keep them asleep.

I thought the point of boiling water used for yeast washing was to remove the oxygen from the water (and sanitize, of course). I've only washed a couple of times, so I very well could be under the wrong impression, but I thought that the yeast LIKE oxygen, so the lack of oxygen would help keep them asleep.

I didn't think of that but it's a good point...

That's what the yeast washing thread says but I find it very hard to believe that oxygen isn't getting reintroduced when you dump it in the carboy, swirl it, and then transfer 2 times.

Back