Saison How Rye I Am (Rye Saison) - 2011 - 1st Place Best of Show - HBT Comp

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Went into fermenter much higher than planned at 1.073 and came out at 0.999. This yeast is crazy! Exactly what I was looking for in a saison taste-wise. Even with the high abv only mild warmth. Thanks for the recipe!

I brewed this recipe a few months ago and just tapped the keg recently. Went from 1.058 to 1.004. This is my third saison and easily the best. The rye gives it a nice spicy character. I'm already starting to hoard it for myself! Great recipe. .. thanks for sharing!

Brewed this 2 weeks ago, force carbed last night at 16.5 psi. WOW! Amazing beer! 1.062-1.003 in 1 week. Thanks for the recipe!

Just kegged a 5 gallon batch after 5 weeks which i am going to let naturally carb. Finished off at 1.003 and the hydrometer tastes great, can't wait till it's carbed up.
Thanks again for the recipe.

I poured my first glass after bottling 10 days ago and this is pretty good! I think I might try adding a little lemon peel next time or maybe something wild like ginger, coriander and dry hop with cascade?

I mashed the rye by itself and used LME for the base malt. My OG was 1.062, but when I put my hydrometer in the fermenter when it was done, it touched the trub at the bottom so I don't know what my FG was.

About 2oz into the beer. Hmm...I want to brew another batch!

Why the use of the Styrian Goldings vs something closer to Hallertauer? I'm curious if there was something specific about Styrian Goldings that you liked.
Cheers!

Why the use of the Styrian Goldings vs something closer to Hallertauer? I'm curious if there was something specific about Styrian Goldings that you liked.
Cheers!

I love Styrian Goldings in Belgian style brews. It is a must for my Belgian Pale Ale and usually finds its way into my Saisons as well. Great earthy character with a wonderful subtle spiciness that is accentuated by the phenolic spiciness produced by many Belgian strains.

TANSTAAFB said:
I love Styrian Goldings in Belgian style brews. It is a must for my Belgian Pale Ale and usually finds its way into my Saisons as well. Great earthy character with a wonderful subtle spiciness that is accentuated by the phenolic spiciness produced by many Belgian strains.

Sounds awesome. I was digging around online to find suggested hops but it didn't come up, for instance it's not suggested on mr malty, until I found them in a beer smith article on Saison. Just picked some that were low alpha ones up along with the recipe. This is very intriguing recipe and oh so simple. I can't wait to try it.

Tapped this about a week ago and it is hitting it's stride, it is GOOD! I dropped a grower off to a friend for dog sitting over the weekend, He called back wanting more.
Will be brewed again, thanks again for the recipe.

Just mashed in, using d90 and added a small amount of special B, this will be our winter saison this year so a slight bit of color will be nice in it. Hopefully it wasn't a mistake. Of course, a huge part of me is yelling at myself "do it as original!!!" but of course, the home brewer in me has to F with the recipe even if proven...

Obligatory drink, a homebrew Pale Ale

I have done this one twice. On the recommendation of some of the brewers in my club, I replaced the dark Candi syrup with blonde- I was told that the darker syrups leave unfermentables behind which keeps the beer from drying out as much as it could/should. I see several posts that cite quite a dry beer even with the dark syrup, so I am curious as to the opinion of others about unfermentables in the darker syrups. At any rate, the rebrew was blonder (obviously) but I also bittered with nugget and used sorachi ace as my flavor/aroma hop. I REALLY liked the lemony notes of the ace and how they complimented the rye. The original recipe is great, just sharing experiences with modifications- experimentation is at the soul of out craft, yes?

Aa760 said:
I have done this one twice. On the recommendation of some of the brewers in my club, I replaced the dark Candi syrup with blonde- I was told that the darker syrups leave unfermentables behind which keeps the beer from drying out as much as it could/should. I see several posts that cite quite a dry beer even with the dark syrup, so I am curious as to the opinion of others about unfermentables in the darker syrups. At any rate, the rebrew was blonder (obviously) but I also bittered with nugget and used sorachi ace as my flavor/aroma hop. I REALLY liked the lemony notes of the ace and how they complimented the rye. The original recipe is great, just sharing experiences with modifications- experimentation is at the soul of out craft, yes?

I like the sound of using Sorachi Ace. My wife loves the Brooklyn Sorachi Ace so maybe it would add a bit of that flavor. Just for the sake of adding a bit of tasting notes to this brew. I like the amount of rye in it and the amount of spicy/peppery notes it provides. My wife prefers a little less peppery flavor so I may brew this with just a bit less rye next time and use Sorachi Ace as well. Thanks to the OP for this recipe.

I have done this one twice. On the recommendation of some of the brewers in my club, I replaced the dark Candi syrup with blonde- I was told that the darker syrups leave unfermentables behind which keeps the beer from drying out as much as it could/should. I see several posts that cite quite a dry beer even with the dark syrup, so I am curious as to the opinion of others about unfermentables in the darker syrups.

I can't speak for other products but I made an 11 gal batch with 2 lb of D-90 syrup (8.3% in my recipe) and it went from 1.057 to 1.001. The company claims to have better fermentability over other products, no idea if that's true or not. I was actually thinking of brewing this again soon and I picked up 2 lbs of a different brand of dark canidi syrup because a local shop was having a sale on in-stock items. I'll post numbers if I brew it.

brianm317 said:
Has anyone done a low alcohol version? say less than 4.5 %. If so, please let us know what you did and how it came out.

I did a 4.5 ish.
11 gal batch.
18 pilsner malt
2 Rye malt
1 Munich
1 crystal 30

Mashed at 150 for 70 minutes

Sparged at 170

7 oz home grown cascade leaf
2 FWH
2 @ 60
1 @ 30
1@ 10
1 @ Flameout

White labs 535 French saison 2 weeks at 80F

Started at 1.048

Finished at 1.002

Kegged and carbed at 11psi for 4 days.

This beer is light and refreshing
Peppery notes, a little lemony, not to hoppy, the fruitiness of the cascade is a good match.
Really drinkable. The saison yeast really shines through in this beer.
Best beer I've ever made? Maybe.

My favorite right now.

Next time a little darker , maybe 1.5 60l crystal and ? Not sure what else.

image-2859931996.jpg

D90 is a fantastic tasting product with a beautiful red tint to it if you want more color.

Great brew!

Brewed this with Wyeast French Saison and D-45 candidate syrup. Over carbed mine a little so it's ready at week two of bottle conditioning. I will probably brew this again. Thanks for sharing the recipe!

image-3693477488.jpg

Great recipe! Thanks for sharing.
Mine went from 1.061 -> 1.002 over 3 weeks @ 64 -> 78 degrees (#3711 is a beast!). The rye is fantastic- slippery and very spicy brew. Hopefully we wont drink it up before it hits its prime!

IMG_20131102_235956442.jpg

[QUOTE="Muchacho" Hopefully we wont drink it up before it hits its prime![/QUOTE]

My exact problem......this beer keeps getting better!!

Bottled my take on the Rye Saison on Friday. I am shocked by this yeast, it was my first time ever using it. The starting gravity was 1.072 and finished at....1.003. Amazing. I cannot exaggerate the amazing mouth-feel in this beer despite the extreme final gravity. It has as much body as many stouts, yet still dry and refreshing. Out of all my brews, this is my favorite tasting uncarbed and warm. I never had one I liked in that state, always read people saying it was good, but so far this is my first time experiencing that. Once carbed and ready I'll snap some pictures and post them up here.

Thanks for the fantastic recipe!
:mug:

This is an awesome recipe. We're queuing up 2 Saison's and two Flemish Red's for the next two weeks worth of additional trials and now it'll definitely be 3 Saison's :)

Hope this isn't too heretical but we were going to use Sorachi Ace on the Dupont but may also use it on this one. Seems like a fit. Anyone else use Sorachi Ace in Saison's?

Hope this isn't too heretical but we were going to use Sorachi Ace on the Dupont but may also use it on this one. Seems like a fit. Anyone else use Sorachi Ace in Saison's?

I just used Sorachi Ace for the first time in a saison. Its the Cottage House Saison recipe with a pound of rye (inspired by this thread). I was amazed at how much they smelled like lemon and dill. It made me want to use them again. Very interesting hop.

I just used Sorachi Ace for the first time in a saison. Its the Cottage House Saison recipe with a pound of rye (inspired by this thread). I was amazed at how much they smelled like lemon and dill. It made me want to use them again. Very interesting hop.

Thanks for the insight. We are decided then to trial the Sorachi Ace! It is an unusually difficult hop to get for some reason. Could not find it at all this year and then finally found a 1lb bag from HopUnion in October. We'll be using this a lot in the coming weeks.

Seems to be a very flexible adjunct variation on this recipe but with many wining competitions. The one with D-180 Candi Syrup looks stout-like in appearance and the one with D-45 looks like a Flemish Red almost, (based on the pics as best as can be seen).

Unless otherwise bumped we're going with the more traditional blonde or golden Candi Syrup, (Simplicity and or Golden), Pils and Rye, and using the Saison beast yeast (Wyeast 3711).

Still undecided on hop formulation whether to use Sorachi Ace or Nelson Sauvin. Any experience on using either of these with Rye Malt?

Seems to be a very flexible adjunct variation on this recipe but with many wining competitions. The one with D-180 Candi Syrup looks stout-like in appearance and the one with D-45 looks like a Flemish Red almost, (based on the pics as best as can be seen).

Unless otherwise bumped we're going with the more traditional blonde or golden Candi Syrup, (Simplicity and or Golden), Pils and Rye, and using the Saison beast yeast (Wyeast 3711).

Still undecided on hop formulation whether to use Sorachi Ace or Nelson Sauvin. Any experience on using either of these with Rye Malt?

Just got mine carbed after 2 days with burst carb in the keg and I can say that I could use a little more rye in the beer. I used 1 lb in mine. Kinda an inspired Cottage House saison with a little rye. I used Sorachi Ace on mine and I think it did very well with the rye malt and this yeast. Even for the 80's, I feel like I could have used more rye. This yeast does seem to overshadow little adjustments in the grist...

Just got mine carbed after 2 days with burst carb in the keg and I can say that I could use a little more rye in the beer. I used 1 lb in mine. Kinda an inspired Cottage House saison with a little rye. I used Sorachi Ace on mine and I think it did very well with the rye malt and this yeast. Even for the 80's, I feel like I could have used more rye. This yeast does seem to overshadow little adjustments in the grist...

Would you push on to 18 oz of Rye?

This is our 5.25 gallon conversion. We're going to run with usurpers26 percentages with a couple of bumps on adjunct and hops. We love 3711 and the combo of funky fruit and a dry finish so we're under-pitching at minus 12% to lend a slight contrast to the Nelson Sauvin. If this is half as good as it looks it'll be a great Saison!

5.25 Gallon Batch

OG: 1.058
FG: 1.008

FERMENTABLES
8.5 lbs Dingeman's Pils
3.0 lbs Weyermann Rye Malt
0.6 lbs D-180 Candi Syrup, Inc.

HOPS (25 IBU's - Tinseth)
0.5 oz. Nelson Sauvin 60 min
0.5 oz. Nelson Sauvin 10 min

PITCH
Wyeast 3711 - (224 Billion - 12% underpitch)

Ramp down 72F to 63F over 7 days. Rack off at 60F for 14 days.

This is our 5.25 gallon conversion. We're going to run with usurpers26 percentages with a couple of bumps on adjunct and hops. We love 3711 and the combo of funky fruit and a dry finish so we're under-pitching at minus 12% to lend a slight contrast to the Nelson Sauvin. If this is half as good as it looks it'll be a great Saison!

5.25 Gallon Batch

OG: 1.058
FG: 1.008

FERMENTABLES
8.5 lbs Dingeman's Pils
3.0 lbs Weyermann Rye Malt
0.6 lbs D-180 Candi Syrup, Inc.

HOPS (25 IBU's - Tinseth)
0.5 oz. Nelson Sauvin 60 min
0.5 oz. Nelson Sauvin 10 min

PITCH
Wyeast 3711 - (224 Billion - 12% underpitch)

Ramp down 72F to 63F over 7 days. Rack off at 60F for 14 days.

CSI, please let us know how this turns out with the Nelson Sauvignon hops. I'm intrigued with this recipe.

I have a question for you. You are decreasing your fermentation temp over time. I noticed this approach on your posted recipes on your website as well. Most brewers recommend raising temps to minimize off-flavors early on and help the yeast clean up later on. I would love to understand your fermentation philosophy and experience. This doesn't appear to be a belgian-only strategy for you.
Thanks.

CSI, please let us know how this turns out with the Nelson Sauvignon hops. I'm intrigued with this recipe.

I have a question for you. You are decreasing your fermentation temp over time. I noticed this approach on your posted recipes on your website as well. Most brewers recommend raising temps to minimize off-flavors early on and help the yeast clean up later on. I would love to understand your fermentation philosophy and experience. This doesn't appear to be a belgian-only strategy for you.
Thanks.

I will. The Rye Saison should be ready in 3-4 weeks.

We never could quite get the blend of dry spice and fruit in the Saison Dupont until we reversed the ramping. We changed the temp routine based on advice from a craft brewer who specializes in saison. It worked very well in our opinion. No fusels and the ester/phenol profile was near perfect. I am definitely now a fan of the method but only on saison yeast.

Just an fyi; Beersmith does indeed add the sugar in to your pre-boil gravity, but you can change the sugar addition to "after boil" which will take it out of the pre-boil, but leave it added to the post boil.
@70% this comes out to about 1.042 pre and 1.57 post.
Tastes great coming out of the kettle! Added some acidulated malt as well as a 1/2 oz of willamette at 5min over a 10gal batch to add a bit of depth to the final product. Also used half amber, half dark sugar to keep the color in line with a traditional Saison. So far it's lighter than Beersmith predicted which is a good thing to me.
Under pitched by about 30% (or so the math works out) and will let the 3711 ramp up on it's own to about 71. I hear it helps smooth out the esters if you do it that way...

Thanks for the recipe! Will update once it's done!

Brewed this up a 1.5 weeks ago OG: 1.054. 1.75 liter starter for 11 gallons. After 6 days at around 70 F it had only dropped 22 points. Is this typical for 3711?

Not an expert on this yeast but i can tell you it goes and goes. My batch is five weeks and at three weeks i was down to 1.004, ended up at 1.001 though at the five week mark. Kept it on the yest the entire time as my wife was out of town and i was solo dad for the entire five weeks, would have pulled it after three otherwise. Taste great though!
Did you have a day or two lag? It does seem you may be a bit behind shedule to me but keep her warm and check in another week. If you're not close by then you may want to rouse it and bump another degree or two and check it every other day. Stressing this yeast isnt a bad thing as long as you get it to your target.

Keep us posted!

Didn't have a delay, but I am getting ~11 bubbles/min, which doesn't really mean much. I check again at 2 week mark.

Just brewed 11 gallon PM version. For better or worse had similar efficiency to the OP, 1.058 OG, but this yeast took right off and is bubbling away vigorously. Really looking to trying this one out!

Here was our recipe:

Partial Mash: 5.8 lb Rye Malt, 1 lb Pilsner Malt, 12.25 qts (1.8 qt/lb grain) at 152° for 60 mins
(sparged with 10 min. rinse at 170° in main brew pot)

Boil:
- 11.5 lb Pilsner LME added up front.
- 3 oz Styrian Golding (3.4% AA) at 60 min.
- 1.3lb Turbinado Sugar at 10 min.

Back