How quickly do you get through CO2

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sparkncode

Reaction score
Just noticed I'm nearly out of gas again :-(
I rent a size D 6.8Kg cylinder and checking my records I last swapped it 1 Feburary this year so about 6 months ago so I guess not bad

I lost count of the number of kegs carbed etc. I might take note next time. Also using it to push sanitiser etc.

I suspect i have had a few intermitant minor leaks as I need to mount my micromatic secondary regulators on a plate as they are loose and that can effect the pushfit seal and allow leaks if I'm not careful. I should probably do that before I reconnect a full cylinder.

I'm thinking of hanging a 3mm thick aluminium plate off some of the shanks that go through the door to hang the secondary regulators and manifolds on the back of the door as there are pipes in both sides of my kegerator

Halfway through the get gas on the gauge so I will use it up carbing thr bee i just kegged then take it in for a swap in a few days.

BOC have a near monoply where I live so cylinder rental is pretty expensive. The swap will be about $55NZD (approx 37USD) for 6.8Kg / 15pound of CO2.

From where I sit, that price isn't....terrible. I just had a couple 5# (about 2.27kg) cylinders refilled; cost me $18 apiece, so double that price for a 15-pounder/6.8kg doesn't seem horribly out of line.

I've never counted how many kegs either--hard to do as they're always in various states of filled. I also force-carb some of them, sometimes I carb them in my garage refrigerator.

If I had to guess, I'd guess I get about 15 kegs or so out of a 5# cylinder.

Yea, you should be able to get a good number with the 15# tank. I would actually say that if it isn't too inconvenient, to disconnect the kegs from the gas lines after they are gassed up, and turn off the tank valve, and then when the flow gets a bit slow, reconnect and gas it back up to full pressure again.

I have five 20# tanks and two 50# tanks. Your refill costs are definitely higher than mine, but if there is a monopoly, there just isn't much you can do. I had one of the 50# tanks only for serving on the walk-in, and it lasted me over a decade (this is why I only use 20# tanks on the walk-in now, so that they hopefully don't go past their hydrotest date), and now the 50# tanks are for carbing and purging duty. I also use my 20# tanks for portable serving with my jockey boxes when I want to.

I personally never leave my CO2 tanks open. I always close them after I am done carbing or regassing. I have done this for over 10 years now, and I have not lost a tank of CO2 in that time due to a leak. I have so many regulators, manifolds, and fittings, that I know I will never get any of my gas systems 100% leak free for any length of time (I have had regulators be leak free, and then years later develop a leak). Since I use larger tanks, this is important for me - 50# steel cylinders are heavy!

Since I serve 14 taps from the walk-in, I don't feel comfortable with such a large gas system to be always on gas, so I only go in when I need to regass the kegs (I also gas them a bit higher than my desired volumes, so I let it go a bit high, then a bit low, etc.). I also use flow control taps, which allows me to do this easily.

The last thing I would recommend you to think about is getting a spare tank if you have the cash for it. It always seems like CO2 runs out at the most inopportune times, but if you have at least one spare always full, you will never have to worry about it. I always seem to have at least 100# of CO2 on hand at any time.

I have a 5lb tank and do force carb. I go through a tank about every three months, brewing at least 3 times a month (all 5g batches) and keg everything. One of these days I'll finally get my hands on a 20lb tank and only have to refill maybe once or twice a year....

BOC have a near monoply where I live so cylinder rental is pretty expensive. The swap will be about $55NZD (approx 37USD) for 6.8Kg / 15pound of CO2.

We have a local crowd that convert fire extinguishers. Mine is 3kg, around 14$ to fill I think. Usually get around 6 months use out of it, 4 weeks if I don't tighten the regulator on properly.

http://nationalgas.co.nz

Back