How often to stir in mash kettle, step mash set up?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

shamilton

Reaction score
Hello brew friends!

So I just recently started to use a mash kettle (compared to the Igloo cooler I used to use). I have read many many replies about stirring methods, but I want to get your opinion strictly on stirring in a mash kettle, direct flame, with multi-step mashes.

Is it not a necessity to stir constantly when the flame is on? To prevent scorching? Or to prevent the grain at the bottom from conduct all the heat while the liquid above remains cool?

I only ask because last brew day I stirred once or twice, temperature was spot on, turned the direct flame off 1-2 degrees before target temp, and it looked awesome.

Fast forward 10 minutes where I got bored and decided to stir. It spiked the temp 10 degrees!!! Thoughts please! Suggestions?

If I have to apply heat to the mash kettle, I stir constantly to ensure even temps throughout the mash and avoid scorching. Once it's at mash temp and I button it up, I only open up to stir a couple times during the rest (and check temp).

Your temp spike was probably due to the kettle walls and bottom being hotter and heat still transferring toward the inside. I think you have to "sneak up" on the temp. Apply heat until you are a couple degrees under target, kill the heat, stir for a few minutes and keep checking the temp until it comes up to where you want it.

Back