How my first day went :)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

b33risGOOD

Reaction score
Hey guys, Im going to make a response to my first day for those interested (gave advice) or newbies who want to try and learn. For the record I am definitly a newbie but here it goes.

2 pictures for fun

Pot in boil

beerpot.jpg

Grim remains lol

beer2.jpg

I purchased a coopers kit, 19$ Canadian, Coopers "real" Ale original to be exact. Unfortunatly when I got to the store this was there only Ale option, so next time I may look else where. I also bought 1.4kg of dextrose as I was advised. I had wanted DME but they had it only for Dark and Amber, I wanted PALE DME so went with the sugar. I also bought 50g Cascade hops for good measure, even thought the Kit is already pre hopped (lightly I was told)

My equipment

80 quart aluminum pot with top, 60 CDN ( I will brew 10 gallon batches once I find a recipe I like)

Outdoor propane burner 78,000 btu's at rona for 60 cdn, this more then does the job.

digital therm 11$ wallmart

Hydrometer 7$ at beer supply store

24 1 litre bottles for 1.29 each

Luckily I already own glass damijohns and air locks, tube for siphone etc

How things went

Even though I had spent a lot of time ready and preparing (lol) A few things didnt go so smoothly.

Began by brining 4.86 gallons to a boil outside. Inside I heated roughly 2 litres water and mixed in my liquid extract to pre dissolve it. One my 5 gallons came to a boil I removed from heat and added my extract and dextrose. I had 1.4kg dextrose and used most of it, expect for about a mug full to use for bottling. Threw in my jops. Mixture came back to a boil and a small head came overtop the brew. Not as much as i had expected, but i think my HUGE oversized pot helped disperse it more so. Boil overs were not an issue in this pot. Wort boiled at a temp of 100, for about 40 minutes. While this was happening I re hydrated my yeast. A bit early, 30 minutes before wort was cooled. I used the packaged yeast and was a bit worried, next time I will purchase other yeast. It seemed to have rehydrated fine. I cooled the wort in a tub of ice and put 1 frozen 2litra bottle of water into the wort. It cooled down to 35 in about 40 minutes. I could not take a gravity readying LOL because the liquid was too shallow for it to float! What trouble can this cause?

After that i pitched my yeast into the damijohn and siphoned the beer into it, letter the wort flow through a fliter to collect hops and whatever. Damijohn is now sealed and at around 23 room temp.

Some things I need to fix

Use DME not dextrose

Find container where I can take a hydrometer reading

Although I was carefull with sanitation, my father (oldschool) was more lax and a few incidints could have happened, although I doubt it.

Buy a good yest, and not use Kit yeast

I wish i had boiled more water in my pot, but since i bought one so big and was in a rush, I dont know if i broke it in 100%

Also, considering what water may have boiled off, and my guesstimate of 2 litres im not sure how much wort was actually made. But considering the size of my damijohn I cant be TOO far off.

Thanks again to all that helped and feel free to throw in advice.

Well. The next time I already have a coopers Ale kit once again. This time ill use a better yeast, and some Plale DME, maybe some hops ill use this batch to decide, or not. Im not sure, I just hope it turns out well, gonna give it some time.

Sounds like things went well. As for the hydrometer reading, I use the tube my hydrometer came in to take readings. I just take a sample of the wort after it is cooled and the yeast has been added, pour it into the tube the hydrometer came in and then put the hydrometer in the tube.
Also I saw a trick in a video where you put the wort from the hydrometer tube into a beer bottle and loosely put a paper towel into the top. You then put that in the same area as your fermenter bucket. It should ferment at the same rate as your wort and you can use it to take readings of your SG without risking contamination to your wort. It's called satellite fermentation.

Is there any point in taking a gravity reading at all now that I do not have a base reading of my wort?

And if so................lol how would I even get a sample out of the damijohn?

I'am a noob myself, but the main reason for taking gravity readings is to make sure the beer has finished fermenting. When you get two of the same readings a day or two apart, fermentation is complete. To get the wort out, I use a sterilized turkey baster.

If you got a turkey baster or there is a thing called a theif you can you, you could get a sample. I am assuming a damijohn is the same as a carboy that is.
Knowing the OG and the FG will tell you the alcohol content so if it has started fermenting, it won't be of much use now. Of course when the SG stablizes it indicates that the fermenting has stopped so you don't have bottle bombs as we call them but if you let the wort sit in the fermenter for a couple weeks that won't be a problem with the beer you are making.
I do recomend leaving it in the fermenter for 2 to 3 weeks. I followed the directions that came with my first ingedients kit I made and bottled after a week. I think I would have had a better beer if I had waited another week and everywhere I have read (except the directions for the kit I used) say to leave it in the fermenter for 2 to 3 weeks.
Bottom line is I wouldn't worry about getting SG readings on this batch you made.
I am sure you can't wait to try your first brew :mug:, I know couldn't (but I did).

lol, ya im not in a rush. I have another kit ( of coopers) which I will be brewing soon and hopefully improve on.

With this kit I want to use Pale DME, can anyone else reccomend anything that might be beneficial to this kit? I know its pre hopped, but I hopped anyways lol. Its too bad MOREBEER charges so much for shipping. The stick on thermometers and one large spoon they wanted 17 US for shipping! haha

Back