How much yeast to repitch?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wilceaser

Reaction score
I have a 2 gallon batch of Kriek that has been a the secondary for over 1 year. I allowed it go through a 2nd fermention with wild local yeastes.
The pedicle has dropped out and the beer is very clear. FG is @ 1.008
So here is the question? How do I determine how much yeast and sugar to repitch for bottle conditioning? :drunk:

Kudos on maturing for a year, crazy stuff.

Carbing, can use this tool online to figure out exactly how much suger you want to add, http://hbd.org/cgi-bin/recipator/recipator/carbonation.html

repitching yeast? "probably" not needed but if you want to kick start it just rehydrate a bag of whatever is too hand that can handle what I presume is a high alcohol content and let it ride?

I made a few Kriek's over the years using Wyeast 3278. I'd allow them to mature in primary/secondary for a year or more, like you did, then bottle with 2/3 cup dextrose and allow at least another year of conditioning. I never had a problem with bottle bombs or under-carbonation. The 3278 basically picked up where it left off, after sitting idle for a year or more.

Sorry it took me so long to get back (life).
Thanks for the info, I just wasn't sure how viable the yeast would be after so much time.
I'll bottle it up and test it in a few months to see how it's going.

Back