How much wine is left behind after secondary ferm. is done??

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

davefr

Reaction score
I just pressed out 14 gallons of Cab Sav. and have it in 2ea 6 gallon carboys and 2ea 1 gallon jugs.

I'm trying to estimate what my yield will be after secondary fermentation is complete post racking.

Is it like a pint, quart or gallon that get's left behind with the lees. What will 6 gallons net out to be after initial racking on average?

TIA

Yep.. In general, the longer you let it sit -- the more compact your lees....

My "Bulk aged for 1-year" batch started with about 1/4" of lees and it eventually compacted to about 1/16" thick.... and the wine was spectacularly crystal clear.... I lost about 1/2 gallon...

Figure, if you get too greedy -- you end up sucking up a bunch of trash that then has to settle out all over again.....

Thanks

I tend to get greedy at the end, but I don't bottle that bit. I put it into a big jar (not really, but can't remember the word for it right now) and then put that in the fridge. After a day or so the cold temperatures make the yeast settle out even more and you can siphon a couple of "sampling glasses" off the top with a mini-autosiphon or a wine thief... yum!!

Latest posts

Back