How Much Will You Pay For Beer?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Most expensive single bottle was one of the Dogfish Head World Wide stouts. I hated the beer, definitely not for me. Most expensive draft was I think for a Palo Alto? from Dogfish Head as well. Tasty tasty tasty.

My cousin bought a 750ml bottle of Duvel for $25 at World of Beer. I thought he was crazy. All of these beers on tap that you rarely find here in S. Florida and he's going for something you can find at most liquor stores and at some grocery stores and paying almost 300% markup.

My cousin bought a 750ml bottle of Duvel for $25 at World of Beer. I thought he was crazy. All of these beers on tap that you rarely find here in S. Florida and he's going for something you can find at most liquor stores and at some grocery stores and paying almost 300% markup.

WOB rocks! Everytime I visit my buddy in Tampa we hit that place up and try something new on draft! We have something like that up in DC but I dislike big cities.

The most I've ever really paid in the store is about $16 for a four-pack of Celebrator. About $4/beer is my limit in the store, unless it's a special occasion and I'm really looking to try something new/random.

I traditionally pick up microbrew 6-packs for around $9.

For a 6 pack, I try to keep it under $10. Most of the beers I drink are around $8.99. I'll reach for an $11 if it's one I've been waiting to try.

Most I HAVE paid was $20 for a 12oz bottle of Anisocoria from Orlando Brewing when I visited the brewery this past summer. Brewed only once and was well, well worth it. Enjoyed the hell out of it.

My local grocery has 4-packs of DFH 90 minute for $18, which I did buy one time without looking at the price. Never again. I don't even like 90 minute that much, so it was abysmally stupid and I drank one bottle and gave the rest away.

You need to find your nearest Bevmo. I pay $11 for a 4 pack of 90 min. Most other craft beers are priced accordingly. Actually one of the cheapest chains I've found for craft beer is Whole Foods, and their selection is usually very good as well.

The most I've spent on a single beer is probably around $13 or so each for Abyss.

Whenever i am at one of my beer stores i look at the price and then i remember how much i have spent on beers in the bar. Then i dont feel so bad.

I was gonna ask this same question. I just paid $28 for a 4 pack of Founder's Kentucky Bourbon Stout. Hope it lives up to it's hype.

I won't balk at the thought of paying $20 to $30 for special edition or otherwise limited beers (22 oz. size) but generally I try to keep it under $10 for bombers and $5 for 12 oz.'rs. Just picked up a bomber of red and white for $16 since I haven't tried it yet and have been wanting to for a while.

6 pack of Ruination down in south texas was 19.00 at the liquor store, and 15.00 at the grocery store IIRC.

Good luck finding a lot of 6 packs that meet your criteria in LA. Granted, there are some but your options are significantly limited.

My local grocery has 4-packs of DFH 90 minute for $18, which I did buy one time without looking at the price. Never again. I don't even like 90 minute that much, so it was abysmally stupid and I drank one bottle and gave the rest away.

I have also paid $30 per 750ml bottle for Black Tuesday, but there is a healthy aftermarket for those so I buy extra to sell, and that covers the cost of the ones I keep to drink.

He just needs to come in a little closer to DC. At all the local places, most craft sixers START at $10. F*@#ing SNPA is $10 for a sixer at the grocery store down the street. There are exceptions, but it's expensive.

As for my most expensive, I paid $18 for a 12oz of DFH 120 at a bar once, and during Zwanze Day, ChurchKey in DC had Iris for $6/$12 for 4oz/10oz pours, Zwanze 2010 for $7/$14, and 2011 $8 for 6oz. The DFH 120 wasn't worth it. The three Cantillon brews were all most definitely worth it.

Airborneguy said:
^ Hands down the most expensive beers have been at sporting events and concerts for me also. But assuming that the OP is asking about off-the-shelf beers, for me it really depends. I generally don't grab the most expensive beers on any sort of regular basis, but I will occasionally check out some special releases or bombers that can get up there. Honestly, my trades with Bottlebomber has been the most expensive if you count shipping.

Quit yer belly aching. At least you've swapped with that blue collar, watermelonweizen and carbonation lovin SOB.

Oh right, the topic..... I've plunked down 25 smackers for a 4 pack of KBS and been fine with it. Also, a bomber of Brooklyn black ops is 25 and I went back for another. That's about my limit, unless like Airborne said, its a special release, or a brewery I want to try.

On the other end, 5 bucks bor a 4 pack of Wells tall boys is a very nice price

Most of my spending hovers around $8-11 for a 6 pack, but I will pick up higher priced seasonals if I've heard good things about them. Such as the $17 I spent on a 6er of Hopslam or $20 for the 500ml bottle of Old Rasputin XIV. But those splurges are few and far between.

I spent $25 for a 22oz of Rouge Old Crustacean Barleywine. Amazing beer. It was 18% ABV and I could barely taste the alcohol!

...course I drank the whole bottle and dont remember most of the evening, but I do remember the beer was good!

Most I go is $20 bucks on anything (usually a bomber) and that's if it special release. I try and stick to under $12 on a 6'er (or 4 pack for DFH stuff) or 8-10 for a regular run of the mill 22 ozer or 750.

What's disappointing is dropping big coin on something that turns up seriously short (DFH Namaste) or comepletely awful (Left Hand TNT). But, I suppose that's just the price you pay for research.

Now Tequila, dropped a nice $135 on a bottle of Jose Cuervo La Familia. That stuff is worth every penny.

I think I paid $25 or $30 for Brooklyn Black Ops for a buddies birthday. Didn't like it.

I have gone as high as $30 ant typically will not go above that. I have had Dark Lord Several times and love it but I do not love it for $50+ on Ebay. Recently I bought some Aprihop @ $11/4 pack. I went to some Avery Release Parties and bought some Mephostopholies @ $8/12oz (bought 5) and the Rumpkins were $10/12 oz ( I bought 3) My HBC meetings are somewhat of a show and tell and sample from personal beer cellars. This is nice because I can try before I buy, and some of the guys have some pretty impressive cellars

Has any one bought a bottle of the westy 12 ?

Has any one bought a bottle of the westy 12 ?

I'm crossing my fingers it'll be in my area come the impending US release. Asked the folks at the local bottle shop, they're not sure when or even IF they'll get it. But I'm not spending the eBay price for it if they don't. I'd sooner go to Belgium and drink a bunch of the other local greats while there.

I like getting SN every now and then. I can get it for around 16 bucks for a 12 pack.

mikeysab said:
Quit yer belly aching. At least you've swapped with that blue collar, watermelonweizen and carbonation lovin SOB.
I'll trade witchoo. Got any Porkslap? ;)
On the other end, 5 bucks bor a 4 pack of Wells tall boys is a very nice price
You... You SOB..

Life is too short to drink ****ty beer. $30 for a mixed 6r is about the norm for swmbo and myself. thats at beer mongers in portland and usually includes a nice 22 oz and some rare 12s. Variety if the spice of life. I usually cap out at $12 for a sixer for the run of the mill brews

$26 for 750ml of Hanger 24's limited release "Black Tuesday." Worth every penny

Got any Porkslap? ;)

Wow, I honestly didn't think you'd like it so much. I only threw it in because I figured I could fit a can but not another bottle. I'm glad you enjoyed it. I didn't forget about the Absinthe/Tequila trade btw. Maybe me and Mike could send it to you together and you could do the same back. It will save us on shipping. Mike and I live about 2 miles from each other.

mikeysab said:
Porkslap? It's THAT easy? I'll gladly get you porkslap. What else?
Hey man I'm easy... What can I say. I've really been digging sour beers lately and Belgians are always good to me.

Airborneguy said:
Wow, I honestly didn't think you'd like it so much. I only threw it in because I figured I could fit a can but not another bottle. I'm glad you enjoyed it. I didn't forget about the Absinthe/Tequila trade btw. Maybe me and Mike could send it to you together and you could do the same back. It will save us on shipping. Mike and I live about 2 miles from each other.
I dunno what it was about that stuff man... It reminded me of being at the HBS. Caramel and husks. Screw whoever says husks are an off flavor lol. Saving on shipping is good, that's a fine idea.

I recently paid $17 for one Mikkeller 1000 IBU. Don't tell my wife. That's the most I've spent on a single beer. My favorite beer store has Black Ops in his backroom where he keeps limited edition stuff. I am not familiar with it though.

There is a member on the forum who has a 65000 IBU beer.. And it's all from dry hopping.

16441150.jpg

30$ for mikkeller single hop series mixed 6er,I actually got two sixers.They were good, hop research too.I paid 19$ for a bomber of Port Brewing Oaked Santas little helper-wasnt that impressed not worth it,so for 2 beers that beats the mikkeller for price rip-off.
Im thinking about trying the triple hopped (Duvel?) bomber for about the same though.

No, seriously. The "beers" are only 1ml though, and you have to take them intravenously. Are you cool with that?

(it's Friday after a long week. It's not trolling, it's just flat out dicking off.)

There is a member on the forum who has a 65000 IBU beer.. And it's all from dry hopping.

Just for fun..... 2 gal batch with 25+lbs of hops, maybe yield one 12oz bottle....

American IPA

Recipe Specs
----------------
Batch Size (G): 2.0
Total Grain (lb): 4.250
Total Hops (oz): 399.81
Original Gravity (OG): 1.061 (°P): 15.0
Final Gravity (FG): 1.015 (°P): 3.8
Alcohol by Volume (ABV): 5.99 %
Colour (SRM): 6.5 (EBC): 12.8
Bitterness (IBU): 65001.0 (Tinseth)
Brewhouse Efficiency (%): 78
Boil Time (Minutes): 90

Grain Bill
----------------
4.000 lb American 2-Row (94.12%)
0.250 lb Crystal 40 (5.88%)

Hop Bill
----------------
398.81 oz Warrior Pellet (17.2% Alpha) @ 90 Minutes (First Wort) (199.4 oz/Gal)
0.50 oz Warrior Pellet (17.2% Alpha) @ 20 Minutes (Boil) (0.2 oz/Gal)
0.50 oz Warrior Pellet (17.2% Alpha) @ 7 Minutes (Boil) (0.2 oz/Gal)

Misc Bill
----------------

Single step Infusion at 152°F for 75 Minutes.
Fermented at 66°F with Safale US-05

Recipe Generated with BrewMate

$16 for a bomber of Founders Curmudgeons Better Half. Was still in the box in the store. Worth every cent.

bottlebomber said:
Rails of baby laxatives maybe.

I hate that. Where in the world would you get $1 rails? I've heard of 10 with a lap dance but at a real grimy doody hole bar

I'll pay a billion gazillion dollars for beer, although I'll probably run a deficit like the federal government.

Back