how much water?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mr jones

Reaction score
when using extract recipes that doesn't have a specific amount of water to boil the wort does it mater of you use 2 or 3 gallons the gravity should come out the same at the final volume correct?.

Yes, the final specific gravity would be the same no matter how much water you used during the boil as long as it is diluted to the final volume listed for the recipe (ie: 5 gallons) after boiling and chilling. The sugars/malt extract will not steam off, they stay behind in the pot. Larger boil volumes are better, but don't underestimate boilovers.

Correct, you'll just use less top-off water. If you can boil 3 gallons that's fine, and you should get slightly better hops utilization.

Great question Mr. Jones. I am using my new 5 gal kettle tomorrow and have always heard "larger the boil the better," but I was just going to ask the exact same question.

I was wondering this myself, talking to SWMBO about it. She's quite the cook, and insisted it will make a difference- she even brewed batches of tea with different amounts of initial water, topped them all off to the same amount, the color was slightly different...
I've started my extract batches with 3 gallons no matter what the boil directions said...
I'm a noob...

watch your hop utilization when increasing the boil size as this will decrease the gravity of the wort less sugars means better hop utilization

Back