How much water will grains soak up?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
No its a smash recipe. I want to do a few smash recipes in order to get an idea of what each different grain can do for the brew before creating something original.

Well, I can understand that. It's a different approach for the first AG, but I can understand it. My concern is that the beer may be just boring, with no flavor or aroma additions, or any other malt besides vienna. You won't get any hops flavor from the bittering addition, so you may not be very happy with the results.

It doesn't really correspond to a style that I know of. It's Vienna malt, English hops, American yeast.

Sometimes you can get an idea of malts simply by using them in recipes. You can taste the grain, too, of course and get an idea of what it may bring to a beer.

Of course, it's your beer and you should do what you want. I would probably follow an established recipe to make a style I like first. In the first AG, there are so many things going on, that I'm not sure if you taste "astringent" for example you'll know if it was sparge temperature, hops flavor, malt flavor, the water supply, the mash time, the equipment, etc. I think SMaSH beers are more helpful for experienced brewers. The equipment is already dialed in, the water is a known quantity, the hops are usually some that you're familiar with, and the malt is usually crushed similiarly. I would suggest maybe trying an easy AG recipe that you know will be good before venturing off into unknown territory.

Try Maris Otter instead of Vienna in that recipe if you are deadset on SMaSH.

I like Vienna but only as 15 % or so of a European style beer. I have never even thought of using it as a base grain.

Best yet follow Yoop's advice and just go with a simple but proven recipe. BM's Centennial Blonde or Ed Wort's Haus Pale.

Figured I would follow up that the fuggel vienna did not turn out well. It was watery and boring.

But, I drank it because I made it.

Back