How much to repitch

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BrewMehr

Reaction score
I recently moved to brewing 10 gallon batches and dividing batches into 6 gallon fermenters. I'm still figuring out the best yeast starter setup for dividing the starter between fermenters equally. Anyhow, I have 2 fermenters filled with a Todd The Axeman clone. I'm 6 weeks into fermentation and one is at 1.022 with the other at.1.026. I took it for a walk a couple a times going to get things restarted but only managed to lose a couple points. The last time I brewed this recipe it was a 5 gallon batch that finished at 1.012. I'm guessing I underpitched both batches.

I've never repitched before but I think I need to. Should I just grab 2 packs of WLP007 and pitch one into each? Or should I build them up? I'm guessing just treating it like a 1.024 OG beer will work. What the best next step here?

Make a one liter starter with each pack of yeast. Pitch the entire starter at high krausen. This may be the best chance to restart a fermentation that already has significant alcohol content.

Starter is going. I imagine I'll have high krausen in the morning. I had to make one 2L starter since my other stir plate is working on Thursday's brew.

The Todd had already been dry hopped two weeks ago also. I'm not sure if I will add oxygen before repitching. Open to suggestions...

Starter is going. I imagine I'll have high krausen in the morning. I had to make one 2L starter since my other stir plate is working on Thursday's brew.

The Todd had already been dry hopped two weeks ago also. I'm not sure if I will add oxygen before repitching. Open to suggestions...

Adding oxygen will oxidize your beer. Just pitch the yeast at high krausen.

So 2-1/2 days since repitching and no change in gravity. I'm guessing the issue wasn't under pitching but instead mash temps. If something was going to happen, I should see movement by now, right?

6 weeks is way too long to only get to 1.024. If I was you I would repitch the slurry instead of bothering with starters.

Chrisbrewbeers are you saying to rack the beer off the slurry then pitch the slurry back into it?

I agree as well with your thinking that this may be mash temps, you might check your thermometer. I have heard some people pitch champagne yeast with success when this happens or a similar dry yeast. Starters are a pain and it's easier to pitch slurry I took care of with nutrient and oxygenation for easily 4-5 batches no problem. I mostly use the ready to pith cell count packs too unless it's a yeast I want that is only in lower cell count.

Yea, I ordered two new thermometers for my MLT just so I can get a better grasp on the varying temps in the mash. I usually measure at the top with a hand held thermometer and measure at the output during recirc but those two can easily vary by 10°.

Anyhow I just took a gravity reading and I lost the points I was shooting for. It looks like the second pitch did the trick. Today is 6 days since repitching.

Id re dry hop once uts done but thats just me.

I might. I'll see what it's like after it's crashed and carb'd. Just pulling the airlock to take the gravity reading unleashed a strong citra aroma. In the past I always dry hopped in the keg at about 48 degrees. This is the first batch I dry hopped at 68* in primary.

When I do IPAs, I've been thinking about not dry hopping until I start carbing. In this case 1 keg will be tapped this weekend but the 2nd keg will just be hanging around for 4-8 weeks. So the second keg will likely benefit from a fresh dry hop when the time comes.

Back