How much StarSan can you drink and still not die?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Makita

Reaction score
Last night I was transferring to the secondary. I had the siphon hose filled with diluted StarSan solution and accidentally let about half of it fall down into the primary.

Has this ever happened to anyone here? How did the beer taste in the end? Will I be...

Dissapointed in the taste? :(
Hallucinating? :ban:
Convulsing? :rockin:
or Dead? :cross:

Nothing to worry about. I accidentally racked my cooled wort into a carboy that had about a half-quart of Star-San in the bottom. Enough went in that I either had to throw out close to a gallon of wort, or take my chances. I kept it, and I lived. I also didn't notice any effect on fermentation or taste. That stuff is almost magic!

There's probably less harmful acid in StarSan than there is in a can of Cracka-Cola. It degrades after awhile and turns into yeast nutrients, actually, so the beer won't hurt from it.

Brewpastor said:
I read the title of this thread and thought, "Oh boy, a new contest!"
Fits your avatar very well, doesn't it? :D

@Evan! and FlyGuy.........good, I was worried about the acid. I sampled some of my beer after this and it was sour (the pH was 4.5), but it could have been that my sampling kit (turkey baster and KFC mega-cup) were still drenched with StarSan.

Off-topic: My KFC mega-cup is 10 years old, so by today's standards that makes it probably the smallest size they have.

Back