How much splashing does it take to oxidize beer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stevehardt

Reaction score
Had a brew day challenge today...

I went to autosiphon a fermented batch into my bottling bucket. Before I started I noticed a little mold in the tubing. I threw that tubing out, and all I had left was a very short replacement piece.

I siphoned what I could, being careful to minimize splashing. But eventually I could no longer get a siphon going, and ended up having to pour the fermented batch into the bottling bucket. I was careful, and tried to pour it slowly down the inside of my bottling bucket to avoid splashing.

I want to RDWHAHB, but was wondering if I oxidized my beer. Be a crying shame if I did, because it's a really nice looking batch.

I've also learned a valuable lesson about changing tubing on a regular basis, and keeping extra on hand.

Thanks

I think I need to get some extra tubing also. From what I have read it will start out being good beer but will start getting off flavors the longer it ages. Just drink it up before that happens. :drunk:

Oxygen causes a beer to stale quickly. Drink it quick and you probably will not notice anything.

You might want to save a couple of bottles for a few months. Try them, and then you will get real experience of what it does to a beer.

Back