how much should a kegging setup cost?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bradsss

Reaction score
Hello, I am a beginner brewer and have only made about 4 batches thus far. I am already pretty sick of bottling and want to look into a keg setup.

How much should one cost initially for just a standard setup? Also, any recommendations?

Kegconnection has pretty good (and competitive) kits, in my opinion. Really depends what you're using for the fridge/freezer, how many taps you're adding, etc.

How big of a setup are you looking for? I haven't checked prices in a while, but I think that 1 keg with lines, hookups, regulator and co2 tank would usually run about $200.

Whatever you figure, plan on doubling it. :p. A basic kit with a picnic tap costs about $200 on Kegconnection or the like. Then figure shipping, taxes, filling the CO2 tank, cleaning products, a refrigerator, etc...... Also you may want to upgrade the regulator, get actual taps and shanks or a tower, etc....

I would budget $400. :mug: If you can keep away from the upgrade bug and make do with the basic kit, maybe $250.

I think my whole setup was $450, which included a $100 Craigslist fridge, 4 Perlick faucets & gear, and a double regulator (3 at one PSI, 1 at another, for English styles).

Here's roughly what I paid for my current setup, your mileage my vary with local deals:
$150 for 7.2 cu craigslst fridge
$75 for craigslist dual-regulator setup (allows you to pressurize @ 2 different serving pressures)
$250 for 4 perlick combo faucets/shanks
$20 for craigslist CO2 tank
$30/each for 2 craigslist kegs
$80/each for remaining 2 kegs (deals on craigslist ran dry, needed them for my brews)
Probably throw in $50 for remaining stuff (replacement parts, quick connects, new tubing, etc)

That puts me at a little over $700! (Note that it would have been close to $300 cheaper with only 2 taps, as the extra 2 kegs and faucet combos were pricey).

It's expensive yes but it's an investment into both convenience and being the cool friend with beer on tap. You also have to factor in the manual labor in converting your fridge/freezer into a kegerator/keezer.

It's not for the faint of heart but you won't have any regrets either. Don't fool yourself into thinking you can do it on the cheap, however.

How much should one cost initially for just a standard setup? Also, any recommendations?

More than you want to pay but well, well worth it in the long run. If you buy it correctly the first time then it only hurts once :D

BTW, the kegs are what add up quickly ;) (and you're gonna want more than you think).

Purchasing an entire kegging system at full retail will cost a fair amount.

When I first got into kegging I was patient, and purchased inexpensive components when they became available and it which saved me a lot.

I also was able to assemble system components from scratch which also saved money. Buying used, serviceable equipment can also be cheaper.

If you can do this, then you could assemble a system for far less money.
Also keep your eyes open for other home brewers who are getting out of the hobby and selling their gear.

Purchasing an entire kegging system at full retail will cost a fair amount.

When I first got into kegging I was patient, and purchased inexpensive components when they became available and it which saved me a lot.

I also was able to assemble system components from scratch which also saved money. Buying used, serviceable equipment can also be cheaper.

If you can do this, then you could assemble a system for far less money.
Also keep your eyes open for other home brewers who are getting out of the hobby and selling their gear.

Agree most definitely. I helped my brother build a bar. He paid a total of $350 for everything. His tap system, a two tower and a single tower, fridge with chamber build and co2 tank and regulator cost $150 and the rest went towards the bar build.(has a 10ft bar with 4ft leg).
Most of the materials we used were second hand and got for free. Got his tap towers co2 tank and faucets used for free from a church getting rid of them. The stuff is out there not necessarily for free but def for cheap. If your not in a rush I would look around and talk to everybody you know. You would be amazed what people have and are willing to give away.

Hello, I am a beginner brewer and have only made about 4 batches thus far. I am already pretty sick of bottling and want to look into a keg setup.

At the most basic level, this is how you get into the kegging game: http://www.birdmanbrewing.com/keg-kit-standard-homebrew/

As others have noted, you can go up in cost from there.

If you buy it correctly the first time then it only hurts once :D

I think this is very important. If you save up front by buying standard faucets, single regulator, etc..., etc... and then upgrade to perlicks, double regulator, etc... you spend more in the long run.

Do you research, be patient and do it right the first time.

I refuse to calculate how much my kegging system has cost me to date... some things I did right (bought ss perlicks right away) some things I did "wrong" (bought a single gauge/pressure regulator); but when I started my system I didn't know how many kegs/pressures I'd want, and sure as heck didn't think I'd be kegging cider and champagne which I like at higher pressure.
a couple hundey-sticks will get you started... after that it's how much do you want to spend?

I suggest you plan your system - how many kegs on tap? how many in reserve? how many different pressures? do you want expansion potential? keezer? kegorator? ball lock? pin lock? sanke? then put it down for a week and look at it again to be sure that's what you want.

I started with used gear (3 BL kegs, reg, 5lb tank, picnic taps) then picked up a chest freezer (CL) and more kegs along the way (I think I have 12 now?) and I also have a sanke setup for the rare commercial brew (switchback, always switchback), 20lb aluminum tank, DP reg, 4-way dist for low pres & carb, 2 way dist for high pres, a collar for my keezer, ss perlicks, etc. it adds up real quick if you let it. but it is freaking awesome to go to my basement to grab a frosty mug of whatever

Even though I got some gear dirt cheap or free, it's still going to cost about $600 - $800 to get where I want to be - a four tap upright keezer. The mini fridge kegerator I picked up for $60 works fine and I can fit four cornies in it(barely) but it has a skinny tower with a single cheap faucet. When I build the upright I'll pass it on to someone else.

If you're patient then you can really save on your initial setup. However, if you want to just get into the game I found with shipping and the stellar customer service, Kegconnection.com was the best for me. They did not always have the best prices on used kegs (ball locks) but overall, the rest was definitely priced right. I did two kegs and two picnic taps first. Then within a month I bought a chest freezer and went with 5 taps. I did not skimp because I did not want to buy again. The only error I made, and this will cost me, is I did not exactly specify the shank size. They're far too long and I need to get 5 new ones. The kegs are very hard to get out with the size of the shanks I have. I didn't want to bug keg connection after I had installed everything because it didn't really occur to me how much of an issue they would become. Therefore, the shanks will be replaced asap.

I can continue to use the picnic taps if I want to bring a keg somewhere. Having at least one on hand is nice. Overall, keg connection.com worked with me over the phone and when I moved from the picnic taps to the faucets, they got me a better price then I got online by building it all myself in my shopping cart.

How much it will run you is hard to say. I went with ball locks. You'll save a fair amount if you go with pin locks. I went ball because I wanted that one extra keg in my keezer. The trade off is the keezer is pretty much too high for me to get kegs in and out without using a step stool. I decided to live with it.

Thank you all for your suggestions. I hear a lot of posts mention standard taps on the faucet, is this a necessity. We have a spray head in the kitchen, and designer sinks that don;t have standard taps. The only standard tap is outside.

@birdman , thanks for the link, I see it only costs $55, but there are those upgrades, are those necessary to start kegging.

I do plan on doing this for time so I want to get something I can use for a long time. I realize it might be more costly now, but I'm a firm believer that if you buy the great thing first it will save in the long run and you can be proud that you are using the best.

There are a few options for taps.

Picnic taps - plastic things that live at the end of the beer line and run about $5 apiece. Portable and popular for the occasional keg-in-an-ice-filled-tub affair. Not a good long term solution for a keezer/kegerator.

Standard (aka rear sealing) faucets - ok for an active pub or anywhere they get regular daily use but let them go several days between use and they tend to get sticky.

Forward sealing faucets, such as Perlick, have less wetted area exposed to drying. Tend to work better for the typical home brewer.

People tend to prefer SS over plated brass.

Kitchen sink faucets and hose bibs are not what it's about.

Thank you all for your suggestions. I hear a lot of posts mention standard taps on the faucet, is this a necessity. We have a spray head in the kitchen, and designer sinks that don;t have standard taps. The only standard tap is outside.

@birdman , thanks for the link, I see it only costs $55, but there are those upgrades, are those necessary to start kegging.

I do plan on doing this for time so I want to get something I can use for a long time. I realize it might be more costly now, but I'm a firm believer that if you buy the great thing first it will save in the long run and you can be proud that you are using the best.

I'm confused by your post about kitchen sinks, but you probably want Perlicks. The design makes them drip less and prevents the valve from sticking.

At the most basic level, this is how you get into the kegging game: http://www.birdmanbrewing.com/keg-kit-standard-homebrew/

As others have noted, you can go up in cost from there.
yes, this is what you need. Those of use who don't have lots of cash to drop at one time, spread the cost out over weeks or months. One thing I'd like to add, is many brewers are using sanke keg, they are what's used in most commercial operations. And if your buying new kegs they can be cheaper.

Back