How much Roasted Barley is too much????

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DrummoRC

Reaction score
I just brewed a batch of Porter. The recipe I put together was pulled from a number of sources. I reviewed BrewToad - Beersmith recipes and kind of put it together. Of course AFTER i brewed it I started questioning if I put in tooooo much Roasted Barley? I should have asked first but ... I am where I am but trying to understand if I messed up or not???

The recipe ended up being:

4 gl batch (into fermenter)

7 lb 2 row
1 Crystal 60
1 Roasted Barley
.1 Black Patent

1 oz Fuggles 60
1 oz Fuggles 30

US-05

Thanks in advance for your opinions - remember we all have one :mug:

Roasted barley comes in a variety of lovibond ratings, from 300L to 800L. What was the rating on the roasted barley that you used?

Thanks for feedback - I was planning on a Porter but I can live with a Stout!

The Roasted Barley is 300L

It is not so much the color that I am curious about more the flavor that it brings. I'm thinking I will need to add cream and sugar to my coffee when it is done Or it will be too bitter in general since it was 11% of the grain bill.

Thanks again for comments and feedback.

You can expect it to be very Guinness-like in it's roastiness.

Just for reference, the dry Irish stout I brewed a little while back was:

6 lbs pale malt
2 lbs flaked barley
1 lb roasted barley

And this was a 5 gal batch.

My experience lines up with the BYO article. Using +10% roast barely can increase burnt off flavors if you don't manage the mash pH.
This will probably have very roasty flavors. I wouldn't be worried about burnt flavors, IMO that's only a risk once you get to +15% or if your mash is horribly acidic.

Not too much to worry about. It might be more of a stout but, I think historically Porters and Stouts kind of split from a single style that varied from milder (Porter) to stronger (Stout)

Well now I am looking forward to tasting it finished. The wort did taste pretty good but it is always hard to tell how well it will finish.

Now I need to brew a "Tan" to make my Black and Tans :)

Enjoy!

I'm thinking I will need to add cream and sugar to my coffee when it is done Or it will be too bitter in general since it was 11% of the grain bill. .

You can add .75-1 lb of Lactose.. that will cut down on the roastiness a bit

Thanks for feedback - I was planning on a Porter but I can live with a Stout!

The Roasted Barley is 300L

It is not so much the color that I am curious about more the flavor that it brings. I'm thinking I will need to add cream and sugar to my coffee when it is done Or it will be too bitter in general since it was 11% of the grain bill.

Thanks again for comments and feedback.

I have an oatmeal stout that has 12% of the 300L roasted barley which i wouldn't say is that bitter. Its based upon Firestones Velvet Merlin who also use 12% of the Briess 300L roasted barley
http://www.firestonebeer.com/beers/products/velvet-merlin-fall-and-winter

So i would say provided you're using the lower lovibond version you should be alright at that percentage

Latest posts

Back