How much rice hulls should I use for my Ryesing Sun Wheat?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

neb_brewer

Reaction score
Grain bill:

4 lbs White Wheat
4 lbs Pale
1 lb Rye Malt

I knew that rice hulls would maybe be necessary because of the rye malt, but I read a bit today about needing them for most beers with wheat. Would .5 lb of rice hulls do?

Half pound is fine. Don't think more would hurt. I just used a half pound in an American Hefe and it seemed to work fine.

I dunno why you wouldn't just go with the half pound. I would not go any less than that, especially since you have both rye and wheat in there. Why chance it? They add no flavor/fermentables to the beer.

Well, I was just thinking on the off chance that my LHBS doesn't have that much in stock...I'll probably run by there tomorrow to see what they have. Brew day isn't until the 16th so that'll give them plenty of time to get more in if I take all they have and its less than .5 lb.

Cool deal, now a question about their use:

I plan on rinsing and soaking them in hot water before use. Then, do I just mix them in when I'm doughing in?

Not really necessary to soak them first. I just toss them right in the mash and be sure to give it a good stir. That's it.

There is no way they will sell them in less than 1 lb bags.
My LHBS buys them in bulk and will sell you as little or as much as you want. As a matter of fact, one day someone came in and wanted 20lbs... nothing else. Just 20 lbs of rice hulls.

I just made a similar beer and threw in a good handful, it did the trick.

I also washed them first but not sure that it made a difference.

Put them in your MLT when you are preheating it. That way they will also be preheated.

Back