how much priming sugar per bottle?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cosper123

Reaction score
Sorry I'm sure this is a stupid question but completely out of my realm of knowledge here.

Only ever kegged beer. Not that I've done that much either. Must have had something come loose, my gas leaked. Wanted to check on my beer left in the keg, that's where the stupid comes in. Should have just left well enough alone, but depressurized the keg. Quickly sanitized a container and poured a gallon of beer in.

So now I have a gallon of flat beer, and I want to try bottling. Would a couple of teaspoons of priming sugar be enough to bottle carb it?

It was a beautiful brown ale, please help me save what is left of it!

Get your co2 tank refilled. Purge the keg with co2. CAREFULLY siphon the beer back into the keg. Then set the regulator to carb it back up.

Wait, what? Did you say you POURED a gallon of beer into another container?

Why in God's good name would you do that? You had perfectly good beer that only needed to be re-carbed, and you went and oxidized the hell out of it. WTF? You *poured* it? You were in such a hurry that you couldn't dig out a little bit of tubing and do a proper siphon?

Pour the beer into a couple of 2-liter soda jugs, use a carbonator cap to fizz it back up as quickly as possible, and then chug it down. Sooner rather than later.

You've already oxidized this one. Don't waste a whole lot of effort on trying to save it. It's a lost cause. Just get it drank fast, before it gets worse.

Honestly, after actually pouring it into a different container, you'd probably enjoy it more if you drank it flat tonight than if you drank it carbed tomorrow.

That beer is on a death-spiral. And probably a fast one.

Sorry if that sounds harsh, but you really screwed the pooch on this one. I should know, I've made plenty of mistakes myself.....

While I wouldn't have been quite so forceful, I'd have to agree with subliminal on this one. Find a good chili recipe that needs a malty brown ale to stand up to some strong ancho chiles or something. Though if you really want to bottle this up, I recommend priming the entire gallon, and then bottle, instead of putting sugar into each individual bottle. Here you go.

Though if you really want to bottle this up, I recommend priming the entire gallon,

Oh, come on. It's a gallon. That's like 10 bottles mathematically, probably more like 8 by the time he goes through the bottling process and has a few drips here and a few spills there.... He's better off having a drunken evening and slamming it all down while it's still halfway decent. Sheesh, we're barely even talking about enough beer to get a DUI with....

Did you read the OP? He POURED it. It's already oxidized, and it can't be brought back from that. The only approach is to drink it up before the flavor changes kick in.

Kinda like that keg of Bud Light at a frat party. While Bud Light may not be the best beer in the world, as soon as they take the first stroke on that hand pump that came with the rented tapper, the entire keg is on a countdown to becoming something much, much worse.

You just can't "store" oxygenated beer. Drink it now, drink it fast, drink it before the o2 has a chance to kill it.

Either that or futz around with it for a week and then dump it because it tastes like crap....

Yes, it may be oxidized, but if it were me, I'd go ahead and bottle it. If it's ruined, fine, but I wouldn't want to drink a gallon of flat beer.

Yes, it may be oxidized, but if it were me, I'd go ahead and bottle it. If it's ruined, fine, but I wouldn't want to drink a gallon of flat beer.

First, a gallon isn't really that much. I could kill a gallon of beer in the time it takes to watch a movie. I might fart alot and belch a time or two, but really, a gallon? It's not like we're talking about any significant amount of anything here...

Second, and much more importantly, I'd much rather drink a gallon of good, flat beer than a gallon of perfectly carbonated sewage.

The real lesson here is that if he just had a co2 tank and a carbonator cap (along with a few empty pepsi bottles), we could have completely avoided this entire discussion....

I didn't pour it I was just typing quickly and mis-typed. I siphoned it off into an airtight container. While some oxigination occured from the air in the siphon tube I doubt it's completely ruined, sorry the drama was misplaced here.

And ty dutchoven.

Latest posts

Back