How Much Primary Head Space Is Required???

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BeerArchitect54

Reaction score
How much head room is required in the top of your fermenting bucket??? I’ve got 5 Gal. buckets and I want to brew 5 Gal. batches.. I measured it out and after I pour the 5 Gal. of beer into the bucket I’m left with exactly 1-1/4" of head room.. Is that enough?? I am going to drill the lid and add an airlock... PLEASE HELP

[MOD EDIT] New thread started...you'll get more responses.[/edit] :D

if that's all the room you'll have left you will want a blowoff hose because it's going to get messy.

How big should I drill the hole??? Do you think I will lose a ton of beer this way??? How much do you think it might be????

PS
Thanks to who ever edited and started my thread!!!

I am also kind of worried. I am about to start my first brew, and I found a kit at my LHBS that comes with a 6.5-gallon primary. The ingredient kits they sell are 5-gallon kits. Is this going to work? And should I be worried about any explosions?

I am also kind of worried. I am about to start my first brew, and I found a kit at my LHBS that comes with a 6.5-gallon primary. The ingredient kits they sell are 5-gallon kits. Is this going to work? And should I be worried about any explosions?
6.5 gallon fermenters are fine for the majority of beers.

6.5 gallon is good don't worry but do get a blow off tube at least 3/4" and you'll sleep better :D

I am still new to this stuff, so what exactly is a blow-off tube? And why do they even have airlocks if everyone uses blow-off tubes?

My intuition is saying it is just a tube that fits inside the lid of the fermenter and runs into a bowl of sanitizer to release pressure? How far into the fermenter do I need to push the blow-off tube?

I am still new to this stuff, so what exactly is a blow-off tube? And why do they even have airlocks if everyone uses blow-off tubes?

My intuition is saying it is just a tube that fits inside the lid of the fermenter and runs into a bowl of sanitizer to release pressure? How far into the fermenter do I need to push the blow-off tube?

Did you read the link up there on post #5 "a bit of a mess"?

Your intuition is right and the tube goes just 1/2" inside the lid.

Most of the time I only get a inch or two of kraeusen. Only a few brews I've done needed a blow off. I use six gallon buckets. If I think I need it I just put a tube in the grommet instead of the air lock.

Yes, I did read it. My question I guess is this: What are the advantages of using an air-lock if you don't think a blow-off tube is needed? If you properly sanitize the blow-off and place the end in a bowl of sanitizer solution, what risks are you running? It seems to me, based on what I understand so far, that a blow-off would be the obvious choice in all cases. Why am I wrong? Thanks!

Yes, I did read it. My question I guess is this: What are the advantages of using an air-lock if you don't think a blow-off tube is needed? If you properly sanitize the blow-off and place the end in a bowl of sanitizer solution, what risks are you running? It seems to me, based on what I understand so far, that a blow-off would be the obvious choice in all cases. Why am I wrong? Thanks!

It's personal preference, there really is no difference. You could put a cloth over the fermenter if you like. They all work. But yes, the blow off is the safest.

ok so a 3/4" blow off is essential if im going to use this 5 Gal. Bucket. Like i said I only have 1 1/4" of head space and i can not afford to buy the 6.5 Gal. Bucket right know... Do I need to use an airlock at all or could i use the blow off throughout the entire process???? Thanks

Use the blow off the entire process. What kind of beer where you planning on making?
I'd suggest something not too big (dark, high gravity) until you get a bigger bucket. The bigger beers tend to make more kraeusen.

I use 5gal. carboys to ferment my beer, and have made a couple of big beers without a problem. I use a 3/4 blow off hose for a couple of days, then when I see no more foam going through it switch an airlock. My beers have come out great, and when I bottle I usually have 50 bottles.

Im going to start out with a Cream Ale and then prob. am planning on a hef or a nut brown and then who knows after that.. I do also have the two buckets so I could split up a batch if I think it will be a bigger beer...

Back