how much peaches to add in secondary for peach wheat?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jgourd

Reaction score
Wondering how much peaches I should add to the secondary when racking my wheat beer. And for how long should I let it sit on those peaches? Any ideas? I figure 2 pounds of pureed peaches per gallon and a month?

It depends on how much of a peach flavor you're going for. I like to use 2 cans of Oregon puree for a 5 gallon batch with most fruits. Peaches are a bit lighter flavor, so I'd probably do 3 cans. If you decide to use fresh fruit, 1lb/gallon is my typical method, but again it depends on the fruit and how much flavor I want.

As for time, I'd stick to a few weeks.

I use one can of Oregon puree in my peach honey hefeweizen and it gets a lot of good reviews, its enough that you can taste the fruit but it doesn't really become the highlight of the beer. So its really going to depend on if you want a fruit forward beer, or a beer with a little bit of fruit taste to it

I think I want a bit of both. My wheats typically have about 51.5% 2-row, 41% wheat, 5% carapils, and 2.5% rice hulls. I like the combination as you get the wheat but a little more body. I'd like to be able to know that it's a wheat beer, but I want enough peach in there to stand at its forefront. I will use fresh peaches from here, as we're the peach capital of Louisiana, and I want to showcase them. I'm thinking 1 to 1.5 lbs. fresh peaches (that I will puree) per gallon. I'll rack on top of them in the secondary and let it sit for 3 weeks or so. Should I remove the skin from the peaches?

Back