How much liquid malt to make 5 gallons ? ( metric please !! )

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dimmy32

Reaction score
I wanna make a batch of beer, 23L ( 5 gallons ) ...how much liquid malt would i need to buy ?
I live in Canada, so no one here will sell things in "pounds" , so anyone have an idea how many kilograms ??
I am lazy, but could convert from pounds to kilos, if necessary....

23L is actually 6 gallons. It's kind of hard to answer the question without knowing what kind of beer you're trying to make but roughly, 4 kg of liquid malt extract in 23L will get you a medium strength beer around 1.053. Do you not have a recipe in mind, or at least a style?

First off Google Josh Madison. This will bring up a conversion calculator you can park on your desktop. Has more conversion tabs than you will ever use but is so simple to use I find it indispensable.

How much extract to use for 23 liters depends upon how strong you like your beer. Most liquid malt extracts will yield 36 gravity points per US gallon. Most dry malt extracts will yield 44 gravity points per US gallon.

23 liters is 6 US gallons. A kilogram is 2.2 US pounds.

I'm also in Canada.

I find that most of the online brew recipe calculators - like here - will convert units.

Plug an "imperial" recipe into the calculator, change units, and "hey, presto", liters and kilograms.

Of course, if you're just playing around with "X amount of Malt" for "Y amount of water", you can always start any of the calculators in Metric and experiment until you get the results you want, and have all the metric measurements in front of you.

Wow thanks guys, this is all great info !
Generally it's american IPAs, and darker red ales in the fall....

Flars,
that conversion tool is epic ! I will use this for not just beer volumes, but for everything else...
windows 10 should come with this automatically...lol.

What gravity are you looking for? Budweiser strength? Or double IPA strength? It's kind of a broad question. I did a quick search on google and found this website that will convert all forms of measurements.
For example 23L = 6.0759600677gal

http://www.unitconverters.net

Medium bodied to heavy....for just about all my styles of beer ;)

Back