How much liquid loss to hops

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Larso

Reaction score
I'm doing the Pliny clone shortly and I'm wondering how much liquid loss to hops to allow for in both the BK and dry hopping in the FV. Has anybody got any numbers?
Thanks
L

are you wondering about absorption rates, or how much you will lose from trub in the fermenter?

I'm not sure exactly how much, I was actually wondering the same thing too.. But you could use a hop bag or whirlfloc/moss to limit the loss of wort, though a hop bag might mess with the utilization

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

I lose very little since I use paint strainer bags to contain my pellet hops. I then squeeze out most of the wort. Not enough that I do anything to compensate at all.

I use leaf hops and a SS mesh hopspider... it's a lot.
I wish it was listed as loss in beersmith, but it's not.
I don't have an answer... just enforcing the question as a valid concern. Hopefully somebody has done the experiment.

are you wondering about absorption rates, or how much you will lose from trub in the fermenter?

Its absorbtion rates I'm trying to estimate. . I know my losses to trub

Sent from my XT890 using Home Brew mobile app

I just made that exact recipe, and without squeezing out the wort at all and filtering out the hops at the end I ended up with just below 4 gallons. I started with a bit over 6 gallons, and usually lose a gallon to a 60 min boil+steep. So with the 90 minute boil, I'd guess I lost 5/4 gallons to boil and a bit more than 3/4 of a gallon to the massive amount of hops when I filtered them out.

Thx guys, I think I'll try 1litre per 100g of leaf hops to start

Ya I would roughly estimate you will lose a gallon or so to hop absorption in the boil and from the dry hop. Are you using pellet or whole hop?

Oh mybad I didn't that part about the leaf. From the calcs I have seen generally whole hops 0.15 qt/oz, or 0.005 L/g. Will be much less if you use and squeeze the hops bags.

Ya I would roughly estimate you will lose a gallon or so to hop absorption in the boil and from the dry hop. Are you using pellet or whole hop?

Mostly leaf. Only 25g pellets in each BK and FV, but 230g and 75g leaf so I'll probably allow for about 3.5L total losses

Sent from my XT890 using Home Brew mobile app

If fresh wet hops weigh 4-5x that of dried hops, it seems like dried hops could absorb at least 4-5x their weight of water.

Back