How much is two much for one 12 oz beer?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I happily pay $10 a bottle for a few bourbon county stouts and dfh 120's every year, but that's the most I'd ever pay for a 12 oz bottle. I paid $10 for a 10 oz cbs last winter, but I figured that was probably a once in a lifetime opportunity(it was incredible). I usually won't pay more then $4-$5 for a bottled beer or more then $7-$8 for a pint if I'm out.

I've paid $13-15 for 375mL bottles of barrel aged sours and stouts. I would never pay that much for an IPA. There are some excellent sours in that price range from Firestone Walker, Russian River, and Lost Abbey.

ChurchKey is one of the beer bars of which I speak. I don't go in there unless I plan on spending a ridiculous sum, but they have some excellent beers available.

I've actually never been. I don't think it opened until I moved to the suburbs. Thought about going a couple of times--which is why I looked up the menu--but never did.

Yep. The $15 bourbon after it was Pappy Van Winkle Family Reserve 15yr.

That's not terrible for Pappy. A friend paid $25 at a bar for 1oz. of either the 20 or 23-yr. (can't remember which) but it was one of those "when else am I going to try it?"-kind of things.

That's not terrible for Pappy. A friend paid $25 at a bar for 1oz. of either the 20 or 23-yr. (can't remember which) but it was one of those "when else am I going to try it?"-kind of things.

The Pappy seemed cheap to me, couldn't pass it up, like you said, not sure I'll have another chance to try it. The utopias didn't seem quite as cheap, but it was a chance to try it... Err.. Umm... without breaking the seal on either of the bottles i have???

prices will always be higher in a restaurant for a bottle than in a store. My local beer store got in 2 cases of zombie dust and kept it in the back for their favorite customers. $3 a bottle, limit one per customer, not at all unreasonable IMO considering its scarcity

Family and I hit up the local pizza joint last night. My eyes perked up when I saw a sign at the hostess desk that said "Zombie Dust here". Sweet, never had it before. Once we finally got seated, peeked at the beer menu and saw it was $12. That has to be for a bomber, I thought. Nope. 12 oz bottle was $12.

We passed on it. The wife had a couple of Toppling Goliath's Golden Nuggets for $5 a piece and I tried out some local APAs for $5 a piece. Still wondering if I should have splurged.

Zombie dust was down to $9. Still passed. Had a pseudo sue, good but overhyped Imo.

On the other end of the spectrum how many people have spend 8-9 bucks for a 16 ounce Miller/Bud at a ball game?

In Chelsea Michigan, there is a craft brewery called The Chelsea Ale House. The one time I went there to try and get a six pack of 12 ouncers, not only could I not get waited on...they didn't even have their prices listed or any sort of a menu available to see what they had on tap. Across the street at the local Jet's Pizza franchise, where they have a state liquor license and a bar on premise, you can get a growler full of anything from Bell's Best to Dark Horse and everything in between for about $6. Guess who's parking lot is always fuller?

Paid $15 for a bottle of Russian River Consecration 2 weeks ago. Not typical for me to do so, but I had cash in my pocket...which isn't typical either :)

I think I paid around $12 for a 375mL bottle (about the same size as a 12oz) of Crux's Freak Cake last time I visited their brewpub in Bend, OR. I actually bought two bottles (one to take home) that I aged for about 15 months before drinking it on Turkey Day last year. I'll gladly pay that price for a great beer. I frequently pick up 500mL sour and barrel aged beers from Block 15 that go for $10-13. The time and skill that goes into some of these bottles are well worth the price.

With that said $10-12 for a single bottle of an IPA is too steep for me. Just too many reasonably priced alternatives readily available in my market. Even generous pours of PtY go for less up here.

I go through the same issues all the time. The lhbs had some 120 min for 12 buck a bottle. I had to pass. If we were out and it was a special occasion then sure, I'd splurge. Seeing that I home brew and have a ton of beer at home I can never justify spending that much on 1 bottle of beer.

I go through the same issues all the time. The lhbs had some 120 min for 12 buck a bottle. I had to pass. If we were out and it was a special occasion then sure, I'd splurge. Seeing that I home brew and have a ton of beer at home I can never justify spending that much on 1 bottle of beer.

Good decision. They should have to pay you $12 to drink that overrated medicinal hop juice.

Outrageous!!! My wife and I paid only $10 ea. for Pliney the Younger... After waiting in line for 7 hours to get into the brewery we were pretty thirsty too...!

I went to Perennial's Barrel Aged 17 brewery release last week. Was sticker shocked at the $25 for a 750ml. I expect it with the BA Abraxas given demand, but 17 ain't Abraxas. Anyway I was in a line of about 3-400 ppl so I bought it this time but will not make the trip next year.

Between Phil's constant travel and Cory's Side Project distraction I'm starting to worry about them.

I just paid $17 AUD for a stubbie of Founders KBS. My local bottleshop got 3 kegs and 6 slabs. How that is, is anyone's guess. To be fair, we're grossly overtaxed on high ABV items in Australia. In saying that though, I kick myself for the dollars spent though thoroughly enjoyed the beer.

Back