How much is too much honey to add to primary to boost your OG?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dave1096

Reaction score
So, I brewed a big DIPA yesterday using my friend's equipment and missed my OG terribly. My pre-boil gravity was spot on, but not being used to my friend's converted keg kettle with a small hole cut out on the top I didn't get nearly the boil off I was expecting. Add that to the fact that I forgot to add the 1lb of dextrose that the recipe calls for (this is why you shouldn't drink big BA stouts while brewing) and I ended up about 23 pts. lower than my OG should have been.

I threw in 1lb of honey right before I pitched my yeast last night, but this still won't get me close to my target OG. I was considering throwing 2 more lbs of honey on top of my thick krausen I have going...somebody please stop me before I do this. Will my WLP090 be able to handle 3lbs of honey in the fermenter? What are some possible negative impacts on the final product? I know it will dry my beer out alot, but it's a DIPA with a purely 2-row malt bill...so I'm not too worried about that, anyway. I was thinking if my yeast can't attenuate that much sugar I could always finish it off with some champagne yeast if I had to. Thoughts?

I've only done up to 1 lb of honey for a 5 gallon batch. It gave good honey flavor without drying it out too much. Personally, I wouldn't try more than 2 lbs total in the primary.

Went with 2.75 lbs total in primary as an experiment. This recipe wasn't going to turn out how it was originally planned, anyway, so why not take the opportunity to learn something new? My main concern (other than attenuation) is that I will have alot of noticeable alcohol flavor from the major amount of fermentable sugars I just added. We'll see...

Back