How much is 2.4 items of orange peel?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BigBlueBrad

Reaction score
I am making a Christmas beer and it calls for 2.4 'items' of sweet orange peel. How much is an item? One peel?

I am unfamilar with the measurement. Thanks!

Is the recipe from a book, maybe they define themselves a bit better, but it is a strange "measurement". Orange comes across fairly strong, are you using brewers sweet orange peel? I would take it to mean 2.4 pieces (couple good pieces and one that's not so large). Fun of brewing, make it how you want it to be. Good Luck

It is a recipe for Ho Ho Holiday brew I found on line. I am going to buy an orange and get the zest myself.

In my 10 gal. Amarillo wheat I use fresh zest from 4 medium oranges which is usually around 2.25-2.5 oz. I am not sure what the rest of the recipe is but I think 2.4 oz in a 5 gal. batch maybe a little much. Since they say items I would bet it means 2.4 oranges, but this is just a guess.

2.4 oz for 5 gallons seems too much. Post the whole recipe and people will be able to help you figure it out.

I used peel of 1 large orange and I almost can't taste any of it in my hefe. I would say they refer to 2.4 units. Peel of 2-2.4 oranges sound right to me

2.4 oz for 5 gallons seems too much. Post the whole recipe and people will be able to help you figure it out.

Here it is. Brewing it tomorrow morning. Thanks for any help.

Amount Item Type % or IBU
1.80 lb Amber Dry Extract (12.5 SRM) Dry Extract 42.9 %
1.80 lb Extra Light Dry Extract (3.0 SRM) Dry Extract 42.9 %
0.60 lb Caramel/Crystal Malt - 60L (60.0 SRM) Grain 14.3 %
1.20 oz Columbus (Tomahawk) [14.30%] (45 min) Hops 77.4 IBU
0.60 oz Ultra (sub. Hallertau) [4.20%] (5 min) Hops 2.5 IBU
0.15 tsp Allspice (Boil 10.0 min) Misc
0.15 tsp Cloves (Ground) (Boil 10.0 min) Misc
0.15 tsp Ginger (Powdered) (Boil 10.0 min) Misc
0.60 lb Honey (Boil 45.0 min) Misc
1.80 tbsp Cinnamon (Powdered) (Boil 10.0 min) Misc
2.40 items Orange Peel, Sweet (Boil 10.0 min) Misc