How much hops for an IIPA?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jono1492

Reaction score
Hey guys, just a quick hop related question. I'm looking to brew my first IIPA, recently got a hold of 'Brewing classic styles' and was using that as a starter recipe, changing the hops to my personal preference. My problem is, have been browsing a heap of recipes online and the majority of them don't use close to the amount stated in the book. The recipe in the book calls for 14 oz of hops, including 2 oz at 90 mins for bittering, most other recipes I've found only call for about 5 or 6 oz in total, including dry hopping. Any thoughts on why the recipe in classic styles has so much more then other recipes?

Cheers,
Jono

5 or 6oz. is going to be light for an IIPA--even if they are high alpha hops. 5-6oz. seems more in line for a regular strength IPA. For example, BierMuncher's award winning IIPA uses 12oz of hops. I brewed an IIPA last week with 11oz. I pulled a taste yesterday and it seems like a very great beer in the making--will bottle next weekend.

5 or 6oz. is going to be light for an IIPA--even if they are high alpha hops. 5-6oz. seems more in line for a regular strength IPA. For example, BierMuncher's award winning IIPA uses 12oz of hops. I brewed an IIPA last week with 11oz. I pulled a taste yesterday and it seems like a very great beer in the making--will bottle next weekend.

Alright, cool. I'll probably stick to what I've got in mind then, was just concerned about wasting money and putting myself through dealing with that much trub etc. for no reason.

Cheers!

When making your recipe, if you want 5 gallons in your carboy I'd make the recipe for something like 6 gallons b/c you'll have a healthy loss that remains in the kettle due to hop debris.

When making your recipe, if you want 5 gallons in your carboy I'd make the recipe for something like 6 gallons b/c you'll have a healthy loss that remains in the kettle due to hop debris.

Yeah, that's what was suggested in the original recipe, haha

Steelers77 said:
Last IIPA I made I decided to go crazy and I added 19 oz total to 5.5 gallon batch! The dry hop was 9oz!

How'd you deal with all the kettle hops? What's your chilling method? I'm looking for a better way to keep hops out of my plate chiller...

Steelers77 said:
Last IIPA I made I decided to go crazy and I added 19 oz total to 5.5 gallon batch! The dry hop was 9oz!

Helps to have a limitless supply if cheap hops! :)

How'd you deal with all the kettle hops? What's your chilling method? I'm looking for a better way to keep hops out of my plate chiller...

I use an immersion chiller. I whirlpool then rack off of the hop/trub. I lost quite a bit of beer on this puppy.
For the dry hop I actually split the 9 oz into two bags. I steeped each of those in 1 litre of 190 degree water for 5 min, then I added all of that to the beer.

If you're concerned about wasting money on hops, consider a multi-stage dry hop with smaller amounts of hops (~2oz each stage). Some recent experiments have suggested benefits to aroma by shortening your dry hop (I go 2-3 days most of the time) and not adding more than 1.5-2oz for dry hopping. Basically, add 2 oz of hops, pull them after 3 days and add another 2oz, repeat to taste (smell?).

I was Fantastic!

We used:

Ahtanum
Meridian
Warrior
Simcoe
Mosaic

Very nicely balance IIPA (I'm a malt fan) 100 IBU 9.3% but you could drink it like a pale ale, very dangerous! The aroma poured out of the keg when you took a pull, I will make this in the next week or two to serve at a local beer club (not home brewers).

I was Fantastic!

We used:

Ahtanum
Meridian
Warrior
Simcoe
Mosaic

Very nicely balance IIPA (I'm a malt fan) 100 IBU 9.3% but you could drink it like a pale ale, very dangerous! The aroma poured out of the keg when you took a pull, I will make this in the next week or two to serve at a local beer club (not home brewers).

Awesome! I just spent $60(AUS) on hops and can't wait to brew tonight. I'm using;
Warrior
Chinook
Galaxy
Simcoe
Cascade
Topaz

I've bought 14oz, but the recipe doesn't call for all of it, but might just use it all up anyway!

Latest posts

Back