How much fizz should i get from 2.2vol of CO2?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

shallywag

Reaction score
I am kegging an ale and have my regulator set @ 10psi, fridge temp between 35-40deg. It has been on pressure for close to 3 weeks and I cannot detect any difference in carbonation since 1st week. Seems flat to me but I may be expecting more fizz than 2.2vol gives. I don't notice a lot of bubbles or head so I am troubled.

Thanks

2.2 volumes is on the low side for American ales and the high side for British ales. It definitely shouldn't be "flat," but it might not be quite as fizzy as commercial beers. If you want more fizz, you get to decide, though!

2.2 volumes is on the low side for American ales and the high side for British ales. It definitely shouldn't be "flat," but it might not be quite as fizzy as commercial beers. If you want more fizz, you get to decide, though!

I just wanted to make sure I wasn't doing something wrong. It's not flat but compared to commercial brews it seems that way. Not sure I really tried a British ale to compare the fizz but @ 2.2vol compared to beers like sierra nevada and sweetwater 420 it just seems flatter to me. What approx volumes are commercial beers like the ones mentioned above carbonated too?

Maybe target 2.5 volumes for an American pale ale -- I think that's about normal. I guess it's possible that your regulator is off, too?

Maybe target 2.5 volumes for an American pale ale -- I think that's about normal. I guess it's possible that your regulator is off, too?

Thanks, it's possible the regulator maybe a little off as well.

The regulator is spot on, check pressure in keg and it read exactly what the gauge was set at. I upped to 12psi, let sit for a few days and already notice a difference. Guess for the temp of my fridge 10psi was a little low, 12psi seems to be a good setting. Thanks for the help!

Is it possible your temp is off? But 12 did the trick, so it's all good!

Back