How Much Dry Yeast to Use: 1.055og

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Stankonia

Reaction score
I'm brewing tomorrow and need some quick answers as I'm getting two different answers on how much yeast to use. I'm going to use Safale-US05 without a starter

The estimated OG of the Brown Ale I'm making is 1.055. Mr Malty yeast calculator tells me to use one 11.5g packet of dry yeast, but BeerSmith 2 is telling me to use two...

I have 2 on hand, so I can use 2, but I don't want to over-pitch, and obviously would rather use 1 if that is all I would need.

This will be my 3rd batch, I used Wyeast 1056 for my first 2, so this is the same strain, but my first time using it in dry form.

and since you're using s-05, you can just sprinkle it on...or rehydrate, but the directions do not indicate to do so...but rather sprinkle. whatever you wanna do friend.

One pack of US-05 is plenty for normal gravity beer and a lot more yeast than a smack pack of wy1056 without a starter. Dry is so much easier and cheaper. Cheers...

Back