How much does your grain sack weigh?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Teromous

Beer Gnome
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I used to order grain in specific amounts pertaining to the recipe I was going to brew, or I would order recipe kits. Another thread that I read suggested that I buy bags of grain in order to save money on my brew.

I decided to order a sack of Simpson's Maris Otter online because it was significantly cheaper than buying it locally. When I got my UPS confirmation, I noticed that the shipping weight was 51.7lbs. Shouldn't these be 55lbs? :drunk:

I wanted to see if any of you actually measure your full grain sacks to make sure you get all 55lbs. It could just be that the scale was off, but I would think that shipping scales would be extremely accurate.

Did the vendor state that it was 55lbs? If so, then they weren't honest with the amount you get for your money. BTW, at Northern's site, it shows Simpson's Maris in 55lb sacks.

Many US malts come in 50lb sacks, but some (esp. European) are 55lbs ~ 25Kg.

Sometimes the billed weight to UPS isn't an accurate reflection of the actual package weight.

I've found that bags vary by several pounds. I buy a sack and weigh it into five or ten pound containers, and have never hit the tare weight of grain exactly. Not enough to be a material difference, but enough to be annoying.

Back