How much does yeast contribute to the flavor?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lmacmil

Reaction score
I'm curious for a couple reasons. Many kits come with a choice of yeast. I recently brewed what was supposed to be a Bell's Oberon clone. I really don't care for the taste although I like the real thing.

The kit came with a different type of yeast than I have used in the past. Don't remember the name/brand but it was liquid in a small glass tubular container. I was just wondering if the yeast could have affected the flavor. FWIW, everyone else who has tasted it has thought it was just fine though Oberon drinkers agree with me that it doesn't taste like Oberon.

Depends on the yeast. Some beers are made to have the yeast impart a substantial amount of flavor. Look at a Hefeweizen. It's a yeasty beer. Belgian beers are spicier.

Also, what is "off" about it? Could be a product of bad fermentation. Was it too hot? Did you boil hard enough. There might be other factors. How old is the beer? I'm sure Revvy will join in here soon! :mug:

The yeast can make a huge difference and also it might not.

Certain yeasts (S-05) impart very minimal flavors, while many others define particular categories (Beligian, Lambics, Wheat beers, etc).

Also, Fermentation temps can make a huge difference too.

You'll need to do more research to get the exact answer you are looking for. Or, you could ask more specific questions about your yeast.

Depends on the yeast. Some beers are made to have the yeast impart a substantial amount of flavor. Look at a Hefeweizen. It's a yeasty beer. Belgian beers are spicier.

Also, what is "off" about it? Could be a product of bad fermentation. Was it too hot? Did you boil hard enough. There might be other factors. How old is the beer? I'm sure Revvy will join in here soon! :mug:

The yeast was White Labs American Hefeweizen Ale 320 and the hops were Saaz.

I don't think the beer is bad because at least 7 other people have tasted it and said it was fine. No one raved about it but no one didn't like it except me. There's a flavor (my brother called it a spice note) that I just don't care for. I will drink it but it's the first batch (I have brewed 6 total) that I haven't really liked.

Back to amber and pale ales for me. :)

Hefe yeast can be very sensitive to pitch rates and fermentation temps, producing a range of flavors from clove to banana by altering these factors.

Hefe yeast can be very sensitive to pitch rates and fermentation temps, producing a range of flavors from clove to banana by altering these factors.

Interesting. What is pitch rate? Fermentation temp was probably 65-68F (it was in my basement.)

I would say the flavor is closer to clove.

Pitch rate is the amount of cells pitched into the beer. For example: 2 million cells / 5 gallons is a pitch rate. Low pitch rates stress the yeasties out and they give off flavors.

But don't forget, in some styles those very off flavors are acceptable or desirable, and people will deliberately stress the yeast in a particular way, through pitch rates or ferm. temps, just to get those flavors.

On a related, but slightly off, topic; I just bottled a wee heavy, I used Wyeast 1728 Scottish Ale yeast, and I would swear there was smoke in it. I didn't use any smoked or peated grains, but it is definitely there. I find that aspect of yeast and brewing neat.

On a related note, some one was talking about a hefe they primed with brown sugar, they said it tasted like a "whole mess of bananas foster in there" but they liked it. :)

To each their own though, :mug: this sounds like a style not suited to your tastes.

Back