How much do you generally spend a month on brewing?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kingmatt

Hop Addict
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I just dropped another $80 on some additional equipment (6 gallon better bottle, airlocks, stoppers, grain bags etc) and ingredients for my second brew (bells two hearted clone) and am quickly coming to the realization that this is a somewhat expensive hobby. Not that I am complaining, because I realize I will be able to enjoy the fruits of my labor soon enough, but just wondering what some of you spend a month on ingredients for your homebrews? Just want to know what I am getting myself into so I can figure out where to tighten my belt :D

<$10.

Then again, I spent about $200 a couple months ago, but that should last me till early next year.

I buy base malt and hops in bulk (55lb bags for $30 or so, and hops for $10/lb).

The only thing I buy relatively often is the specialty malts, and then its just a pound or two at a time.

130-150/month averaged out. Majority of that is ingredients for about (5)-5-gallon batches a month. But I was spending WAY more then that at the grocery store buying beer bi-weekly.

130-150/month averaged out. Majority of that is ingredients for about (5)-5-gallon batches a month. But I was spending WAY more then that at the grocery store buying beer bi-weekly.

I just can't believe that people who brew that often aren't buying in bulk. (or aren't doing AG).

$100 a month in bulk would be 100+ lbs of grain, and 3+lbs of hops a month.

I've spent $400 since I started in February, but that included all my original equipment. I figure it'll settle down to a couple of extract kits per month fairly soon.

I probably have $1000 worth of equipment, but haven't purchased any in several years. Monthly costs can run 0-$100, depending on the season and how many kegs get floated, if any.

Not as much as I would like to. After the wedding though, I'll drop another 500 or so.

Having bulk base grains paid for, it's nice to only spend 7 or 8 bucks per brew at the LHBS.

But Kegging system is in the future. Again, AFTER the wedding.

I brew extract and may be trying my hand at partial mash soon...do you think it would be worth it to buy DME in bulk? If so, what should I get that would I would be able to use for multiple styles? My favorite beers are IPAs so I would probably be brewing them mostly but I do like to dabble in other styles (really want to try a founders breakfast stout clone at some point and a nice pumpkin ale in fall).

I spent a lot when I started getting heavy into it (about 3 months ago). Now I have a supply line and it is maybe 40-50 a month fro brewing at his point. but when I think about it, between the wife, friends over to the house and whatnot, we were probably spending 100 a month in beer to satisfy the need. however since my supply line is full right now, I haven't bought any BMC in over a month at this point, so I am saving there which is nice

I'll just approximate 1 5-gallon beer per month... $50 per beer for ingredients. Another $30 per month for equipment. My ingredient prices should go down in the long run, but my I might eventually keg my beers, so I expect my equipment costs to go up...

I brew about 1 or 2 batches a month... I'd say on average I spend 50 bucks on anything expendable in brewing.

I don't count the equipment I've purchased... that'd be a scary number.

I try to keep it under $100 month, ingredients and equipment/parts. That is two batches a month, average. Usually, one 6 gallon batch and one that is either 8 or 10 gallons.

Lately, I've been doing pretty good at keeping it under $75 a month.

:rockin:

I spend may $30-$50 a month depending on the style I'm brewing. I do one 5 gal batch a month.

Equipment is $0 a month even if I buy stuff becuase the cost goes to $0 in the long run.

It really varies. $150 or so on average is probably pretty close when equipment costs and "research" are figured into the equation. Without "research", it's probably a little more than half that.

I just started in January so I am still finding stuff I need. I tend to go kind of hog wild with my hobbies so I am probably at, or slightly over, the $800 mark. In the next few weeks I plan on getting into kegging so that number will soon double.

I brew about 1 or 2 batches a month... I'd say on average I spend 50 bucks on anything expendable in brewing.

I don't count the equipment I've purchased... that'd be a scary number.

If we count equipment, I'm probably like $2000-$2500 in. =P

I bought my first equipment/ingredients on Feb 26, and I've spent $298. I told myself I'm not going to buy anymore equipment until my cost/12oz bottle is less than $1.50. I'm keeping a spreadsheet of costs vs returns and I'm 3 or 4 more batches from hitting that goal.

I started gathering equipment slowly.
3 years ago I tried doing some meads then stopped.
2 years ago I tried a cider and stopped. February I started reading up on beer.
March I bought about 100 dollars in equipment and some grains for my first all grain batch. Then went out and made an immersion chiller so for march maybe 200 dollars spent.
April did my 2nd all grain batch and paid again for **** I broke.
May ----- Probably less than 35 dollars because I only plan one beer a month.

I don't go out and drink anymore since I can explain off the costs on not going out as often.

Hard to say what my average actually is as I kind of go in streaks.
The last few months have been kind of rough. In December and January I bought several wine kits some of which were > $100 and some better bottles for bulk aging.

Now in the last few weeks I've acquired a 10G kettle and chiller so I can do full boils. I've been wanting to do this for quite some time and finally just bit the bullet and did it.

I just started and almost 200 bucks in 1 week and I'm far far to completing an all grain set-up. This is really an expensive hobby to have and there's no turning back! Gonna start brewing my MR beer on my day off, wish me luck guys!

My costs are probably $20-30 per month brewing one batch a week. Thats including everything broken down such as DME for starters, oxygen for aeration, grains, hops, etc. I got into the hobby with the idea of making the best beer I can as cheap as possible. Just bought 300# of grain at around $.60/lb, hops are around $.65-74/oz. I was washing yeast for reuse on my first batch already and have roughly 12 types in the fridge ready to go. After the initial equipment costs, you can make beer for dirt cheap if you don't include your time. I still watch CL for deals on carboys and such and you can do quite well there if your patient. Just picked up six 6 gallon carboys with handles last week for $5/pc.
tom

I typically budget out 80$ a month for brewing since I only brew twice a month as of now but that figure has been blown out of the water since my latest month included a keezer build.

I've dropped about 500 or so in the last month (Bulk grains, bulk hops, some new carboys, a mill, scale, ect.) switching to all grain and brewing a bunch to fill up my kegs since I'm too busy in the spring to brew much. But F-it I love to brew so its worth the money to me.

I just started in January so I am still finding stuff I need. I tend to go kind of hog wild with my hobbies so I am probably at, or slightly over, the $800 mark. In the next few weeks I plan on getting into kegging so that number will soon double.

:mug:

I'm the same way... a few years back I decided that I wanted to learn how to play the guitar. In just a few short months I had acquired two middle-of-the-line electrics, a 12" Marshall amp and a very nice Martin acoustic. I was well over $1500 into it before I could play 10 chords and a couple scales. After a few lessons I realized I wasn't a guitar player and I sold everything. Same story with mountain biking.

That was all back when I was single. Now I have a family and a wife that keeps close tabs on the budget. Nonetheless, my wife is responsible for my new hobby--she bought me a kit for Valentine's Day. I've sunk about $300 into equipment and ingredients since February. So far my wife has enjoyed my brews, which makes justifying the cost a little easier. :)

I blew $100.00 bucks last week on just grains,hops and yeast....but what a big ass IPA it will be.. I usually only spend about $40.00-$50.00 bucks per 10 gal brew day. all grain and I DO need to start buying in blk.

I would say I average about $25 a month. It used to be about $15. This jumped up a lot because I brewed 4 batches within a month (to prepare for being out in Cleveland this summer.)

To damn much! (according to SWMBO)
Usually around $50 a month, however, I recently bought hops in bulk and have been brewing styles around these hops so my costs have went down a little, to around $40.

wow i dont think i realized the cost difference between extract brewing and all grain. i dont have the funds to upgrade to all grain yet, but even going to partial mash should save some green. guess ill have to start reading the all grain & partial mash forums!

I'm between $35 and $100 a month, doing extract with mini mash. I can typically brew 5 gal of a small beer for about $35. If I brew something bigger it could run about $55. Jamil's Evil Twin last week cost me $59. How many times a month I brew makes a big difference too. It's typically twice a month. I find it's just easier to go to the LHBS store the day before I brew and get what I need. I don't have the room to store bulk products and since I'm still a noob, I'm doing something different every week and wouldn't know what to buy in bulk. I guess if I could get a 55 gal drum of pale extract, that would be cool, since it seems to go in just about everything anyway! ha

:tank:

wow i dont think i realized the cost difference between extract brewing and all grain. i dont have the funds to upgrade to all grain yet, but even going to partial mash should save some green. guess ill have to start reading the all grain & partial mash forums!
Don't let the Funds scare you. All you NEED for AG is a 7-8 Gallon Pot, a capable heat source (Propane burner or nice stove top) and a cheap 5G cooler MT. (Bigger cooler is preferred, but you CAN do AG with a 5G one just not big beers) The mashtun can be built for under $30 So you're looking at maybe $100 to get started. How many batches would it take to recoup that between AG and Extract?

Don't let the Funds scare you. All you NEED for AG is a 7-8 Gallon Pot, a capable heat source (Propane burner or nice stove top) and a cheap 5G cooler MT. (Bigger cooler is preferred, but you CAN do AG with a 5G one just not big beers) The mashtun can be built for under $30 So you're looking at maybe $100 to get started. How many batches would it take to recoup that between AG and Extract?

definitely not many batches. I have a 10 gallon SS pot right now and a propane burner. I live in a college town so getting empty kegs would be easy to find here as well. right now i only can manage about $40/month for brewing. Got a kid on the way and trying to budget pretty tight. id like to stick with 5 gallon batches for now so i can brew a bunch of different styles.

I guess the main obstacle right now is knowledge. headed over to the all grain forums now to do some reading. Thanks for the post

Averaging out everything since i started September 2009, including equipment, bulk hops, etc. I would say about $80-90 a month. This will be ever decreasing as the only other equipment I want is a mill. Two 5 gallon batches a month cost me about $40 - $50/month.
I have only purchased commercial beer twice since i started brewing on which I would normally spend $60 month.

Alright who had to mention cost per bottle?? You got me calculating and in equipment alone I am sitting at about $3.50 per pint brewed...Which means I am probably about $4.65 per pint with ingredients. That's about bar price so I guess I can accept that, but what it really means is I just need to brew more beer to lower the average. :)

:mug:

This.

Honestly, for you people who have been brewing for a while and are still spending $40-50 per month on equipment, what are you buying?

Maybe I'm just a cheap-ass, but I'm happy with my simple AG system (cooler MLT + turkey fryer (borrowed!) + 8-gallon pot), swamp cooler, and buckets for fermenting. Still bottle everything (and am happy doing so), buy hops in bulk, wash yeast. I probably end up spending $40-45 a month for 1-2 batches (usually brew every 3-4 weeks, depending on how busy I am). This includes propane + caps + other small costs.

I guess it can be as expensive a hobby as you want to make it (and I'm not knocking anyone who's built a bad-ass rig), but as we've seen, there's not necessarily a direct correlation between price of system and quality of beer!

Back