How much do you generally spend a month on brewing?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
In the states I was spending close to maybe $10 a month, and I brewed about 4-6 times a month. Buying bulk is the only way to go. AG is not difficult and only adds a couple more hours to your day. Once you have your equipment dialed in to what you are doing, you should only be paying for water (if your source is no good), and the occasional crazy ingredient for a different brew. But the initial cost has more than vanished.

Now being over here, I have had to start from scratch. The initial cost is starting all over again, but will even out and be moot in a matter of months. AG and Bulk!!!

Let's ignore the last 6 weeks (I went all grain and bought a 2 keg system :D ) Overall, I brew either 1 big brew or two lighter brews, depending on my mood, the season, and how deep the pipeline is. I would say I spend 40 or 50 per month on ingredients and propane for the fryer.

I have about 100 in my 4 buckets. I use empty 40oz miller bottles to bottle with. I make homebrew, I call it Obama beer, I get the ingrediants from the grocery store on food-stamps. However, If i had to buy em, i make a hard lemonade at 11 abv for $8 for6 gls, and a mole-asses brew at 7 abv for $9. So I make 24 gals/mth for $34. I turn em at the end of the month. I bottle 80/40oz bottles and re-make em in under two hours.

Works for me

In the states I was spending close to maybe $10 a month, and I brewed about 4-6 times a month. Buying bulk is the only way to go. AG is not difficult and only adds a couple more hours to your day. Once you have your equipment dialed in to what you are doing, you should only be paying for water (if your source is no good), and the occasional crazy ingredient for a different brew. But the initial cost has more than vanished.

Now being over here, I have had to start from scratch. The initial cost is starting all over again, but will even out and be moot in a matter of months. AG and Bulk!!!

Being a new homebrewer (extract-only so far), I'm amazed that all-grain brewing has such a huge cost advantage. I brew once/month and spend at least $30 on ingredients. I'm already planning on taking the leap to AG in the near future... Given your estimate, I should only have to spend $2-3 month if I brew all-grain once per month. What ingredients do you recommend that I buy to build up my all-grain "pantry"?

Back