How much do you buy?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

freakshow10mm

Reaction score
Let's take the simple extract recipe I brewed for example.

6.6lbs of LME and 1.5oz of hops (single hop brew) for a 5gal batch

You make it, you love it, no changes, recipe dialed in to your taste.

How much do you buy? Do you load up on hops to make sure you can get it, then buy LME as needed? What bulk increments are available for the home brewer?

Yes, I know it is dependent upon consumption.

I'm lucky enough that my LHBS does "virtual bags". That's Brew Brothers, for you Portlandians. You only have to take what you want. I've started keeping about 2 or 3 brews worth of base grain on hand, and all sorts of specialty, which I buy a couple pounds at a time. I also started buying hops by the pound, so I've got about 4 lbs on hand at the moment.

The only thing I buy in bulk is 2 row. It's $42 for a 50# sack at my LHBS. The nice thing is that I don't actually take delivery. They subtract whatever I use off a note card, and I just mill what I need in store. Once I dial in some regular recipes, I'll do the same with my hop choices.

I have hops in bulk but only because I grow them. ONce they get established, they grow like weeds. Other than that, sometimes I'll buy a little ahead on yeast, but that's about it. I buy what I need, when I need it.

I've been extract / partial mash brewing and have been purchasing DME 12 lbs at a time which would last me 2 batches. I also bought 2 lbs of 4 different hops that I have been brewing down. Getting ready to buy more hops so will probably get 1 pound or two of mixed. It's not too much of an investment & I vacuum seal all my hops and store in freezer. Now that I am starting AG with no mill I'll probably buy in 10 lb increments from LHBS where I can get it milled. So for AG I guess it will last only one brew.

Guess it really depends on how much money you want invested in supplies. I've been purchasing DME from dmemart.com. Orders are filled & shipped quickly via USPS priority so I get it in a couple days and there's no additional shipping charge. So I've been doing a once a month DME buy and don't have too much money invested at any one time.

I think it's important to buy hops in bulk. I use hopsdirect.com. I typically think about a few batches I want to make in the next couple of months and buy common hops in bulk. Or, if you have a friend that homebrews you can always go in with him/her on hops. If you don't have friends that homebrew I guess it's about time you changed that!

Hops will keep for a long time too if stored properly. I freeze mine (pellets).

I think it's important to buy hops in bulk. I use hopsdirect.com. I typically think about a few batches I want to make in the next couple of months and buy common hops in bulk. Or, if you have a friend that homebrews you can always go in with him/her on hops. If you don't have friends that homebrew I guess it's about time you changed that!

Hops will keep for a long time too if stored properly. I freeze mine (pellets).

Me, too. I buy chinook, simcoe, amarillo, magnum, willamette, cascade, and northern brewer hops by the pound. I grow cascade, hallertauer, and now chinook. I have hops in my freezer at all times, so I can brew as needed.

I always have at least 5 pounds on hand of commonly used crystal malts, biscuit malt, and 50 pounds of two-row, Vienna malt, and marris otter.

I have about four strains of liquid yeast in the fridge, and three strains of dry yeast at all times.

I keep a 50 lb bag of canadian 2 row and a fifty puond bag of munich malt on hand. And I have 5 lbs. of Sterling hops. When I need specialty grains i buy enough for 2 or 3 batches.

Eric

Back