How Much Bourbon?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dendron8

Reaction score
I am currently fermenting an american brown ale, and i will be bottling it on 11/13. I am planning to add bourbon to it for flavor (and maybe boost the abv a smidge).

Has anyone done this, and if so how much did you add? I am looking for a subtle flavor, not overpowering, but noticeable. I have read a few posts that stated amounts anywhere from 1 cup to 2 1/2 cups for a 5 gallon batch, but I have no idea if these are what I want.

Thanks!

Start with 1 cup and go from there. The nice thing about adding bourbon is that you can add it later if you so choose. Honestly, I thought 1 cup was pretty mild in a stout I made the first time I did it, but to each their own. I don't think you want it very strong in a Brown Ale.

I added 8oz to a 7.5% Belgian stout with oak cubes last fall. Turned out nice. Was a little strong on the bourbon for the first couple months, but mellowed out nice after 3 months. So you need to consider your current ABV and how quickly you plan to drink it. I assume your Brown Ale may be a little lower ABV and you probably plan to consume sooner than later. You might even want to start with 4-6oz. As Homercidal stated you can always add, but you can't take it back out.

I would do 1cup of bourbon, that should provide a well balanced flavor and not over power a brown ale. If you want more you can always pour some into your glass.

I decided to experiment with adding bourbon to an Oatmeal Stout (Yooper)

Instead of adding it to the batch I calculated it per bottle and bottled different amounts in the bottle which helped to taste what the difference is between the different volumes

I am just saying, but if you were adding bourbon, you might as well add Oak. I would start with 12. But I like mine boozy.

I decided to experiment with adding bourbon to an Oatmeal Stout (Yooper)

Instead of adding it to the batch I calculated it per bottle and bottled different amounts in the bottle which helped to taste what the difference is between the different volumes

I will follow your recommendation because of your name, PearlJam !!

to all, thank you for the feedback. I think I am going to try a cup. Seems like thats a reasonable amount. Glad I asked, I was considering 2 1/2 cups!!

Did you do it yet?

Everyone's tastes are different. The only way to find out is to try it for yourself. Pour yourself a bottle of brown ale and add a teaspoon (5 ml) of bourbon and taste it. Then add a second teaspoon of bourbon and see what it tastes like ..... maybe a third.

5 gallons is ~ 43 bottles

at 5 ml a bottle (1 teaspoon) ~=215 ml in 5 gallons, or 7 fl ozs

at 10 ml a bottle (2 teaspoons) ~= 430 ml in 5 gallons, or 15 ozs

I generally start at 10 ml per bottle, and decide whether I want a little more or less in a particular beer.

I have some oak stave pieces soaking in about 10 ozs of bourbon for months, ready for when ever I want t o use it, so I get some oak in the bourbon too. I just used it yesterday, the bourbon had been on the oak for 6 months, and I then refilled the container with fresh bourbon, ready for when I want to use bourbon next.

@Calder - I have not done it yet, Im bottling this sunday 11/13. thats a good suggestion on the oak - how/where do you store it? do you purchase oak chips or do you get some from outside and dry them out? do you ever put the oak directly into a primary/secondary or are you just pouring the bourbon in? Also, do you find that 15oz makes the bourbon taste stronger in the beer? what does 7oz taste like?

Back