How many times do you re-use bottles??

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Vorsicht709

Reaction score
I was just wondering on average many times would you re-use a bottle?

The reason I am asking is because I have had a bunch of bottles I used for three batches of beer, and today I had two break when I was capping them (wasting two beers :( ). Before this I had yet to break a bottle. I am just wondering if it was because the bottles were old, or some sort of bad technique on my part.

Thanks.

My wing capper started breaking bottles after two batches. I got a bench capper and have done several hundred now with no problem.

I've had some bottles go through fifteen batches, probably. Though I've done many more batches, not one bottle gets used every batch. I've never broken a bottle. Maybe its possible that successive primings have compromised the integrity of the bottles, but I wouldn't think so. I'd say its probably technique, the capper, or both.

I'll use a bottle till it breaks. I think I've broke 2 in the past but it was because I accidently smacked them with the capper.

I agree with the previous poster, bottles don't ware down, I have broken a couple by not getting the capper on properly before wrenching down on it. being the stingy b@stard that I am though, I get a funnel and paper towel and filter it into another bottle.

I never considered that bottles could only be used a certain number of times. Has anyone experienced this with 22oz bottles? I've got two doz. bombers that I inherited from my FIL that are at least 10 years old and have probably been used at least a dozen or so times.

I bottled on sunday with some 12oz commercial bottles (first time using anything other than 22oz). About a half dozen or so of them made a "click" when they were capped. None broke, though.

I've never broken a 12oz bottle with my wing capper. Are you standing on the levers??

I've never broken a 12oz bottle with my wing capper. Are you standing on the levers??

My wing-capper malfunctioned and started breaking bottles. Didn't have anything to do with pressure.
I borrowed a bench capper to finish the job and bought one of my own as I like it better.
Nothing against the wing-capper crowd. I'm sure I got a bad capper. :tank:

Back