How many of you have moved to no-secondary?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi two questions if you don't mind.

I have heard the term Bulk Storage many times but don't really know what it means.

Also I have read people saying they secondary in a keg. Is this really a secondary ? or is it more conditioning ?

Thanks,
Cam

Bulk storage/ageing/conditioning is just that. Typically ageing a beer such as Imperial Stout off the yeast cake but as one volume for extended periods of time. I currently have my RIS in bulk storage on port soaked oak cubes for 12 weeks before bottle conditioning for 6 months. Similar to lagering but I do mine at cooler room temperature on a shelf shielded from light. 65*F
As far as secondary in a keg, this is more conditioning that secondary fermentation since the beer has been removed from the yeast. I'm not even sure I understand the term "secondary fermentation" as the process is really just clearing the beer over time but I suppose there is still some microscopic activity occurring from the yeast that is held in suspension.
I typically primary for 3 weeks for the average ale. Rack and bottle. For my RIS or other large beers or anything that would be on fruit or long term on oak I will primary for up to 5 weeks, flush a second carboy with Co2 and rack for bulk storage.
Hope this helps.

I used to secondary everything. I've since moved away from that, but I believe it still lends a hand to particular styles...I have a 1.083 OG doppelbock that I should have moved to secondary as I started lagering, and now it's a bit murky. In addition I will usually use a secondary for fruit or oak additions, but apart from that, primary all the way.

I have been brewing for 5 years and have only used a secondary 6 times when I started brewing. Give it enough time in the primary and it will clear.

I'm wondering what you didn't get out of the dry hopping that you hopped for? Also just so you know, if could be your hops. I have heard that the Yakima valley area was hit hard with heat waves causing stress on the hips so this years 2015 hop crop isn't as up to par as previous years. I got some citra hops from them that really did taste a little off and after I heard this news it made more sense why I wasn't getting the profile I had in past batches.

I wonder if either of you that have been home brewing for a long time have gone from always doing secondary on a typical <1.070 ale to rarely or never.

Can you tell us of your experience?

I've been brewing AG for about 5 years. I brew twice a month on average & I rarely don't secondary. It's a part of my process and works well for me.
I also keg condition about 50% of the time.

I always secondary and often consume simultaneously from a keg :D

Perhaps I could even go a step further and say I don't even bother with a primary fermenter, as I ferment in my boil kettle and transfer to keg for "secondary" and serving.

Only times I'll use a secondary now is if I'm aging the beer (stouts, English Strong Ales) or if I'm racking onto additions such as fruit and aging. Otherwise, primary only; 7-14 days to ferment, add dry hops for ~5 days, bottle.

When I think secondary, my mind immediately goes to Snoop Dogg..."I never have, I never will....".

Like most others, I only secondary if bulk aging or racking onto fruit or oak. I tried adding strawberries to primary in a strawberry blonde and wish I would have transferred. If dry hopping I just throw into primary and have not had any problems.

Back