How many gallons of EdWort's Apfelwein have been made?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Nothing to add to the count yet because I am still waiting for my better bottles and yeast to arrive, but will be adding soon. In the mean time, a fun fact:

~40 apples = 1 gallon of juice. That means that so far there have been 103,800 apples consumed in the making of EdWort's Apfelwein. At an average of 4oz per apple, that is 25950 pounds (11795.45 Kg) of apples. That works out to be about 617 bushels. The average US production of apples is about 250 million bushels, so we have only used .000247 % of the available apples. That's not nearly enough :)

TronCarter said:
~40 apples = 1 gallon of juice. That means that so far there have been 103,800 apples consumed in the making of EdWort's Apfelwein. At an average of 4oz per apple, that is 25950 pounds (11795.45 Kg) of apples. That works out to be about 617 bushels. The average US production of apples is about 250 million bushels, so we have only used .000247 % of the available apples. That's not nearly enough :)

and people said math wasn't cool!

TronCarter said:
Nothing to add to the count yet because I am still waiting for my better bottles and yeast to arrive, but will be adding soon. In the mean time, a fun fact:

The math I learned is 15 pounds per gallon (about 3 gallons per bu)...

2605 X 15 = 39075 pounds of apples (~868 bu)

Still not a hefty chunk of America's annual supply, but you're right, still not enough. ;)

Now add that to all the other non-Apfelwein cider recipes everyone on here is doing, and we might be getting a little closer... c'mon HBT-er's, we need to stake a claim to more of America's apples! :tank:

Adolphus79 said:
The math I learned is 15 pounds per gallon (about 3 gallons per bu)...

2605 X 15 = 39075 pounds of apples (~868 bu)

Still not a hefty chunk of America's annual supply, but you're right, still not enough. ;)

Now add that to all the other non-Apfelwein cider recipes everyone on here is doing, and we might be getting a little closer... c'mon HBT-er's, we need to stake a claim to more of America's apples! :tank:

39075 pounds of apples is 19.5 tons. Kinda puts it in perspective. Tonight I'll be cracking the first bottle from my batch. :)

Whew, nelly! My first batch! That is some tasty juice! Packs a punch too... :drunk:

2605 + 3 gallons = 2608

And I have 6 more gallons in the works. Thanks EdWort!

I have 5 gallons in the works. 2625 total.

A side question, its been a week and the layer of bubbles have a bit of a brownish tint to them. Is this bad?
Also there is a ring of bubbles on the outside, but also little islands of them, I just don't want this to be infected or anything. I used the recipe except that I used cane sugar instead of corn sugar because I couldn't find any at Safeway...

2625 + 5 = 2630!

Holy crap this has taken off. When i first made this there was somewhere around 200 gallons made...

except apfelwein is less than a quarter per serving :D and you pay at least a buck for a double cheeseburger off the dollar menu

I made a batch and took a keg to the Telluride Bluegrass Festival this past summer. Everyone loved it! It was gone in 2 days.

I've been keg only. But, I'm buying some bottling equipment. I'm definitely gonna give away some Apfewein for Christmas. I'm thinking of trying to do a spiced holiday version.

count = 2668

Hey, what are the rules here? I did a 3 gallon batch using Wyeast 3944 and a one gallon with 1272. Does it count?

2705 + 5

Added 1 tsp nutmeg, 4 cinnamon sticks, and 1 tsp allspice for a more "spicy" Christmas version

Total 2710

2715+4=2719

3 gallons w/ Witbier Yeast
1 gallon w/ Ale Yeast

(Bought 5 gallons of apple juice last night. Weekend plans for more Apfelwein!)

Back