How many carboys do I need?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NCBrewer6

Reaction score
Im a first-time brewer and I got a starter kit along with a concentrated mix of Pinot Noir to try out. I started my process last saturday and it is almost time to transfer to my carboy from my primary fermenter. The next step tells me to rack it to another carboy and I only have one. Should I just put it back into my "primary fermenter" (aka bucket) or do I need to buy another carboy?

I am no Vinter but, I do know this about Carboys.

No matter how many you buy, you will always find that you need at least 2 more.

I'd plan first what volume I want in production and have at least 1 or 2 backups if your budget allows.

Rack_II.jpg

This should give you a good idea ;)

It depends on how much you make. I have two primaries, 4 secondaries, a bunch of 1g jugs, and a bunch of kegs.

You'll want at least N+1 carboys, N being the number you think you need. :D

You'll want to rack into another carboy and not into your primary. Too much air surface in the bucket and you'll get oxidation in your wine.

You will definitely always need more carboys if you stick with this. Actually probalby going to pick up two more this weekend.

That being said, most kits only make use of one primary fermenter and one carboy in their regular instructions. Which kit did you get?

Rack_II.jpg

This should give you a good idea ;)

It depends on how much you make. I have two primaries, 4 secondaries, a bunch of 1g jugs, and a bunch of kegs.

LMAO!!!!

I started making cider in October of 08 with one 7 gallon bucket (primary). Here I am today going with beer wine and cider, with 4 carboys, four Primaries and a 2 tap system and I'm getting another Carboy ASAP. This is addicting!!!!

I had the same question that NCbrew had a little over 2 months ago.:rockin:

Thanks alot for all the input... I went ahead and ordered another one so I at least have enough get me through my first batch. I ordered all of my equipment from HomebrewHeaven.com then got my mix from another site. Its a "European Select" Pinot Noir. I called Homebrew Heaven to see what they had to say about my carboy issue and the guy recommended that I transfer from my carboy to my primary and then back to the carboy... I just thought there was too much room for error there.

Thanks alot for all the input... I went ahead and ordered another one so I at least have enough get me through my first batch. I ordered all of my equipment from HomebrewHeaven.com then got my mix from another site. Its a "European Select" Pinot Noir. I called Homebrew Heaven to see what they had to say about my carboy issue and the guy recommended that I transfer from my carboy to my primary and then back to the carboy... I just thought there was too much room for error there.

Did you get a corker? Your gonna need it.

Edit: I see you have a "starter" kit I'm sure it came with corks ..etc..my bad

We sometimes use them to collect sap during sugaring season ..but plastic water cooler jugs are better and safer (Bill--where did you get those water cooler jugs??)

Not sure good for wine..

I have 2 x 14 gallon conical fermentors and 6 carboys. Always thinking I need more....

Back