How many batches have you dumped?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have dumped 3 so far all Belgians, but I will not be beat. I am planning on doing them again. One I have done so far over again which was a Dark strong and it went from 1.108 to 1.022 so I have concord this one and now 2 more to do.

I'm about to dump a lemon pale ale, and there's about a half a batch of witbeer from the summer that I think is a little past its prime. . .

Are we counting the batch of stout that exploded in the bottles in my closet?

None. I had one batch that I got an infection in that turned very sour .... 6 months later I popped one ... really good, dried out nice in the bottle and the sour faded quite a bit. 8 months after bottling, tasted close to a lambic, kind of like champagne. It's been about 10 months, I think I will give it till Christmas and try another. Time really does the trick. After this experience, I don't think I will ever toss anything, I will just stick it in the dark corner and wait till I find it again.

I have dumped one batch, and it was earlier today. I made 10 gals of wit and 5 looked great, while 5 had turned black, so I only bottled half. Kinda sad though.

not a single one out of 16 5-gal batches. Did try some fruit additions in one batch that ended up way too tart, but has mellowed over 4 months. It's ok after mowing the lawn on a hot day, but still not that great. Fortunately by buddy's wife likes it.

One. It was the first batch I made in my new house and it came out terrible. Traced it back to the water when the second batch had the same crappy taste, but the roast covered most of it up. I bought a water filter after that.

1 batch of IPA i only dumped probably about 1 out of the 5 gallons. I just couldnt figure out what the off flavor was, it was somewhat drinkable, but it never mellowed and I could never get past that flavor.

Out of 11 batches so far this year, it's been 1.5. The one was an infection and the .5 is a batch I never dumped, but which only comes out when my most taste-challenged friends are in town to drink it.

Friends who like good beer are great to talk to. Friends who don't mind drinking crummy beer are a treasure.

None. Can't say I've brewed nothing but award winning beer, but what wasn't good at first turned out to be decent after a few months.

One.... back in 1991. I was Lagering in a closet under a stairwell that stays around 40 degrees in the winter. I forgot to check on it and the airlock dried up. I will never forget the blood curdling scream the SWMBO let out when she opened the closet and saw the mold growing out of, and down the outside of the carboy... kind of like a bad science fiction movie...

i'm impressed at how few batches you guys have dumped. methinks some may even be coloring the truth a bit. If the beer's not great, and aging hasn't helped, it's history. Not gonna waste my time drinking sub-par beer. learn the lesson and move on. I didn't start homebrewing in order to lower my standards.
Maybe you all are much better brewers than I was (I've had very good results for a while now, whether by skill or chance) or maybe you just find it hard to part with a beer you're actually not enjoying?

I totally agree. I very much enjoy brewing beer, but I'm not very good at it yet. I've decided to start brewing half-batches. That way I won't have as much sub-par beer to drink. Ya, I feel pretty bad about dumping it. But there is a case or so left of one I did a while back that got an infection, and it is getting the heave-ho today. Should have dumped it a long time ago.

None yet, But I have a Brother-inlaw that will drink anything if I dont like give it to Mikey he'll drink anything.:cross:

Oh sure. I opened the first bottle of the bunch I was going to dump, and it smelled pretty good. Then I poured it into a glass and tried it. Well, it doesn't taste half bad!

What do you think? Should I save it? I mean, it was an extract kit (Austin Homebrew Sam Adams Brown Ale clone) brewed probably 2 years ago. I wasn't sure if it had an infection on it or not, so I bottled it. Knowing that it might have had an infection kinda weirded me out, so I never drank much of it. It's just been sitting in the basement all this time.

It's kinda fizzy, has just a hint of astringincy to it, but overall it doesn't taste too bad. Is it ok to save this?? Even though I think it had an infection?

Just dumped half a batch of my first brew ever today, a Brewers Best English Brown kit that fermented way too high and tasted like bandaids. From what I understand that taste wont go away, I choked down about half the batch but it was definitely not good beer.

Oh sure. I opened the first bottle of the bunch I was going to dump, and it smelled pretty good. Then I poured it into a glass and tried it. Well, it doesn't taste half bad!

What do you think? Should I save it? I mean, it was an extract kit (Austin Homebrew Sam Adams Brown Ale clone) brewed probably 2 years ago. I wasn't sure if it had an infection on it or not, so I bottled it. Knowing that it might have had an infection kinda weirded me out, so I never drank much of it. It's just been sitting in the basement all this time.

It's kinda fizzy, has just a hint of astringincy to it, but overall it doesn't taste too bad. Is it ok to save this?? Even though I think it had an infection?

besides a bad taste, if its drinkable its not going to hurt you, up to you on that one

Back