How many back up kegs do you have?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GenIke

Reaction score
I'm planning a three tap keezer. How many many back up kegs do you guys use for conditioning and stuff?

I've got 5 taps and 11 kegs. You need bear minimum one extra keg, but I prefer to have 1 extra for each tap. Keg conditioning is great - free C02 (you never have to worry about force carbing) and you beer is ready to drink immediately after it's cold.

It's also nice in the winter to have extra kegs in the winter. If you know you're going to kick one, put a carbonated keg outside and you're ready to roll immediately.

I have 10 5-gal And 1 2.5-gal. Not enough! I don't think you can say that having x number of kegs will be just right. Just keep buying them until you think you have enough. Then get a few extra.

I had two - one with star san and one for dry hopping. Unfortunately this Saturday we'll put those into use on the 8 tap keezer. Kegs are too damn pricey these days.

Almost Famous Brewing Company

I don't really know.

I have 3 beer taps. I have room in the kegerator for 6 kegs.

I have a small kegerator, for 3 gallon kegs, for my cottage.

I have some wine in kegs in a cool area (white, and cider also) and some in kegs in a warmer area (red).

So, let's see. Three right now in the kegerator with beer, four with wine or cider, three small kegs that are empty, some on the shelf, and I think a couple more that have aging beer in it.

About 15? maybe? However many it is, it's not enough. :cross:

I had two - one with star san and one for dry hopping. Unfortunately this Saturday we'll put those into use on the 8 tap keezer. Kegs are too damn pricey these days.

What do you mean by one with star san?

Like just for storage of the star san or do you use it to run through the beer lines? Im 100% new to kegging.

Well 8 of the 10 kegs I have were brand new italian kegs and had a smell to them so we would put 5g of PBW in one and after a day or two would rack to another keg. Then we'd put star san in a keg that had PBW in it for a few days and follow the racking order of the PBW kegs. Now I only have two "empty" kegs left so I've let the star san sit in one and can rack it to a bucket for use whenever I want.

Like just for storage of the star san or do you use it to run through the beer lines? Im 100% new to kegging.

I have 3 kegs for a 2 tap. I wish I had 3 taps and 6 kegs. But I always sanitize kegs with star San and pump through the lines when I'm switching kegs. It would be quite nice to easily dispense star San when brewing though

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Currently 2 kegs. Use to have nine. Sold them because of a move and space requirement. Also used to have a three tap kegorator and a 7 cubic ft (freezer temp controlled) ferm chamber. All gone now because of the move. (overseas)

I doubt I'll ever get up to the keg numbers I had before. To damn expensive these days. It's okay though. I hear tell you can put beer in bottles?! :D

3 taps, 6 five gallon kegs. I often lager in the keg, so I wish that I had two more.

I have a three tap Keezer and have 12 kegs. I need to keep the pipe line full. I have barley wine and a porter aging in a couple and couple ready to fill. If you find them cheep on Craig's list or else where, buy them, just got my last three for 30 bucks each, clean and ready to use.

I'm planning a three tap keezer. How many many back up kegs do you guys use for conditioning and stuff?

I have 10 five gallon kegs for a 3 tap tower, all kegs are full, 4 in kegerator and 8 five gallon fermenters aging, and Im brewing another 10 gallon batch this weekend :ban:
4 carboys are empty

when I had 6 kegs, 4 fermenting buckets and no carboys I was always waiting for a keg so I could brew again and often we were running out of beer that was properly carbed up.

Instead of buying a 3rd batch of kegs, i purchased 10 carboys for a lot less money and it has worked out great.

Cheers :mug:

I have a 6 tap keezer.....9 x 5 gallon kegs and 2 x 2.5 gallon stackable kegs. I built a 2 tap portable keg cooler that will hold the 2.5's also.

So I could probably use 1-2 more of each size (2.5 & 5 gallon kegs)

Currently I don't have any taps but I have 4 kegs. I'm going to get a 15lbs CO2 tank from the WTS thread where you can get them pretty cheap. Then I'll just do picnic taps until I can afford something a little more "pretty".

I've gotta find a way to do that pretty cheap since we just had our 1st kid and...well...kids sure as hell aren't cheap!

4 tap kegerator that holds 6 kegs and 20# co2 tank. I have 12 kegs total . Mainly only use 8 kegs to keep my pipeline going, but occasionaly have few of the others with Brett beers or Imperial stouts that are aging.

Planning on 5 taps (maybe more) when move to new house with coffin keezer that will hold all 12 kegs. So may try and snatch up 4 more kegs.

I have a 3 tap kegerator. I have 5 5gal. kegs and 2 2.5 gallon kegs. For my brewing and drinking, this suits me just fine. The most I have ever had was 2 full kegs waiting to go on tap. The 2.5 gallon kegs are mainly for party use, but would definitely come in handy if I ever needed a backup. I'm more of a brew as I need it guy. I'm afraid having too many beers sitting around in kegs would just make me drink what's on tap quicker, so I could get to drinking those fresh beers.

I have a 4-tap kegerator and around 17 ball-lock kegs. It's a good number for me since I like to brew a bunch of 11-gallon batches in a row and then forget about brewing for a few months. I have a large chest freezer to keep the ones that aren't in the kegerator, and when it's filled with kegs at 34F it is a thing of beauty!

4-tap kegerator and 6 5-gallon, 1 3-gallon keg. Plenty for me because I usually do hop-forward styles that I'll want to drink fairly quickly.

3 Taps, 8 kegs. Like the others I use one keg basically exclusively for storing starsan. Right now is the most backed up my pipeline has been with 5 of my 7 beer kegs currently occupied with beer, with another beer going into a keg tomorrow.

Need to get some friends down to clear up some tap space.

12 tap kezzer 14 five gallon kegs (2 waiting for some thing to kick) 2 three gallon keg to travel that sit on the hump. Five more 5 gallon kegs in the lagering fridge aging. 4 out between 2 friends from parties, and 3 more cold and waiting for room in the keezer, 3 others that are at room temp till I build another temp controlled cooler

29-30 five and 2 three gallon kegs

There pretty cheap down here about a 3 hour round trip drive at around $35-$40 apiece:D:p

Thanks for all the responses. I'll probably start with 4 and get a couple more when I can find a deal.

So basically, all you guys are the reason I cant find any good deals on cornies, right?!?! :mad::D:mug:

If you are starting from scratch, I would recommend buying pin lock kegs. They are abundant in my area and can typically be bought for 35 per keg.

Back