How low can the ABV be and still call it beer?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GRHunter

Reaction score
My wife bought me a beer kit as a Christmas present. It was a partial mash Rye Ale kit that the home brew store assembled. I haven't done a partial boil kit in quite a while but I figured that I'd give it a shot since it was laying there doing nothing. Well, I got lazy and didn't take a pre-boil gravity reading and ended up like 15 points under my original gravity target. So I kegged it today and calculated my ABV and came up with 2.5%. So is it beer, near beer, barley beverage, or what? Needless to say, the test tube sample today was pretty bitter. :(

It's definately beer, you can get alot lower than that, look at non-alcoholic beer.

BTW, I once seen it written that: "Brewing beer is a fun and rewarding hobby. When you do good, you get beer. When you do bad, you get beer. It's a lot like recreation league softball".

I think it is hard to miss gravity my that much, even with partial mash. Are you sure your gravity readings were correct?

Gravity readings were good. I think the conversion rate for the partial mash wasn't as good as the kit builders expected. Plus, I know that my volume was high. I agree, it takes some extra special stupidity to miss by that much. :drunk:

I think it is hard to miss gravity my that much, even with partial mash. Are you sure your gravity readings were correct?

Touche'

It's definately beer, you can get alot lower than that, look at non-alcoholic beer.

BTW, I once seen it written that: "Brewing beer is a fun and rewarding hobby. When you do good, you get beer. When you do bad, you get beer. It's a lot like recreation league softball".

In this state anything under .5% is not considered an alcoholic beverage and therefor free from all the technicalities of brewing beer. It really just makes naturally carbonated soft drinks legal.

Back