How long to WY3711 ride before bottling?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JBOGAN

Reaction score
So i just brewed a saison with 3711 and the starter i pitched took off within 4 hours,very nice i must say.My typical minimum for fermentation is three weeks has anyone bottled lets say in a time frame of less than 16 days with this strain?My gut says to let it clean up but i have some family coming in for christmas and it would be nice to have three styles available.Current temp is steady at 70F with an OG of 1.064

What is your FG? What was the grain bill/recipe? How does it taste?

I've used this yeast lots of times. It is a fantastic workhorse and is probably OK to bottle after two weeks assuming FG is reached and you pitched enough healthy yeast to start with.

FG 1.002.Have not checked gravity yet going to let it go a few more days to check.Krausen has dropped out but it still looks like star wars inside the carboy and i just raised the temp a degree and a half.I have heard this yeast can build up mutiple krausens so my wishful thinking may not be in line with what the yeast want.Took the recipe from azscoob but i let this one ramp up by itself but plan to finish out at 78F.The smell coming from the blowoff tube is amazing.I also added chamomile

Recipe Type: All Grain
Yeast: Wyeast 3711
Yeast Starter: Always
Batch Size (Gallons): 5.5 Gallon
Original Gravity: 1.062
Final Gravity: 1.002
IBU: 36.3 IBU
Boiling Time (Minutes): 60 Min
Color: 7.5 SRM
Primary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp): 14 Days at 68 Degrees
Additional Fermentation: 14 days at room temp
Tasting Notes: Citrus and fruit phenols up front balance nicely with earthy hops, great mouthfeel

Cottage House Saison

BJCP Style and Style Guidelines:
-------------------------------

16-C Belgian & French Ale, Saison

Min OG: 1.048 Max OG: 1.080
Min IBU: 25 Max IBU: 45
Min Clr: 5 Max Clr: 12 Color in SRM, Lovibond

Recipe Specifics:

Batch Size (Gal): 5.50
Total Grain (Lbs): 12.00
Anticipated OG: 1.062
Anticipated SRM: 7.5
Anticipated IBU: 36.3
Brewhouse Efficiency: 75 %
Wort Boil Time: 60 Minutes

Grain/Sugars:

8.50 lbs. Pilsner Malt(2-row)
1.50 lbs. White Wheat
0.50 lbs. CaraMunich Malt
0.50 lbs. Flaked Oats
1.00 lbs. Orange Blossom Honey (added with 5 minutes left in the boil)

Hops/Spices:

0.50 oz. Sorachi Ace, 10.50%aa @FWH.
0.50 oz. Fuggle, 4.75%aa @FWH.
0.50 oz. Fuggle, 4.75%aa @30 min.
1.00 oz. Fuggle, 4.75%aa @15 min.

1.5 tsp Black pepper, Fresh ground @5 min.

Yeast:

WYeast 3711 PC French Saison

Mash Schedule:
Mash Type: Single Step

Grain Lbs: 11.00
Water Qts: 14.30
Water Gal: 3.58

Qts Water Per Lbs Grain: 1.30:1

Saccharification Rest Temp:148 degrees, 60 minutes (3.58 gal.)
Mash-out Rest Temp: 212 degrees, 10 minutes (1.25 gal.)
Sparge Temp: 170 degrees, 10 minutes (3.50 gal est.)

Mash at 148 degrees for 60 minutes, then add your mash-out water and give it another 10 minutes, vorlauf and collect in boil kettle, you already have your FWH additions in the kettle right?

That sounds like a great saison! Since you had activity in four hours, I'd say you had a good pitch. I'd bump it up to 73 (range being 65-77) and start checking gravity on 12/10 and again 12/13. If it's done then, bottle. It should carb in 12 days.

If you were using 3724, there would be no way.

Want to try 3724 on my next saison and maybe finish it out with 3711 guess that 3724 can be finicky?

So i just brewed a saison with 3711 and the starter i pitched took off within 4 hours,very nice i must say
having visible activity in 4 hours might mean that you've over-pitched. there was very little growth (lag phase) required. on a style like saison, where so much of the flavor is derived from the yeast, you want a decent lag phase. you'll still have the yeasty goodness, just possibly less than if you had a more typical 12 hour lag.

you say it looks like star wars in there... sounds like there is still some yeast activity. but regardless of appearance, if you've got 3 days steady at 1.002 then you're done.

i've made several beers with 3711 and one thing that i've noticed is that it carbs pretty darn fast. bottles had plenty of carb in a week. so between rushing the bottling to get 2-3 week carb time, and making sure you leave the beer in primary long enough - i'd go with the longer primary.

Want to try 3724 on my next saison and maybe finish it out with 3711 guess that 3724 can be finicky?
yes, 3724 can be finicky. i've used exactly this combo, 3724 + 3711, on my last 3 saisons (washed and re-used the cake). GREAT SUCCESS </Borat>. for the first batch, the 3724 went in first and had a while on its own (like a week), stalled out at 1.040 as expected. that's when i pitched an active starter of 3711, drove it down to 1.004.

There was a lag phase but i guess i did not describe it correctly.There was no active fermentation(star wars within four hours).I had some burps in my blow off jug.When i woke up 7 hours later krausen was present and thick and then i had true active fermentation.
Ever since i started rinsing yeast i have used both Mr.Malty and yeastcalc and I also used that for the fresh pack of wy3711 and built a step starter from the viability.Yeah longer primary would be optimal..way to ruin my naive bottling party:p

having visible activity in 4 hours might mean that you've over-pitched. there was very little growth (lag phase) required. on a style like saison, where so much of the flavor is derived from the yeast, you want a decent lag phase. you'll still have the yeasty goodness, just possibly less than if you had a more typical 12 hour lag.

you say it looks like star wars in there... sounds like there is still some yeast activity. but regardless of appearance, if you've got 3 days steady at 1.002 then you're done.

i've made several beers with 3711 and one thing that i've noticed is that it carbs pretty darn fast. bottles had plenty of carb in a week. so between rushing the bottling to get 2-3 week carb time, and making sure you leave the beer in primary long enough - i'd go with the longer primary.

yes, 3724 can be finicky. i've used exactly this combo, 3724 + 3711, on my last 3 saisons (washed and re-used the cake). GREAT SUCCESS </Borat>. for the first batch, the 3724 went in first and had a while on its own (like a week), stalled out at 1.040 as expected. that's when i pitched an active starter of 3711, drove it down to 1.004.

Since i have never double pitched,get ready stupid question.Did you just plug that 1.040 in and build a starter from that or did you direct pitch from a pack?

Since i have never double pitched,get ready stupid question.Did you just plug that 1.040 in and build a starter from that or did you direct pitch from a pack?
i made a 3724 starter for the full batch (so a starter for 5 gallons of 1.065, or whatever my OG was). for the 3711, i made a 1 liter starter. it's less about cell count and more about getting the yeast active. the important thing is to pitch the yeast while it is active - so you have to pitch the whole thing, no cold crashing. for the 3711 on a stir place, it was up and running in less than 12 hours. i pitched it at 24 hours.

if you direct pitch from the pack into partially fermented beer, you run the risk of the yeast being shocked by the alcohol in the beer. they could go into self-defense mode and go dormant. by getting the second yeast to go into sugar munching and alcohol producing mode, gently, in a starter you ensure that they aren't shocked by the alcohol - they're already producing it in the starter, so they're acclimatized to alcohol.

I brewed a Petite Saison D'ete on 11/6 with WY3711. Highest temperature at 8 days of 68°. Bottled on 11/26. OG 1.041. FG 1.006. I waited to bottle until the beer was crystal clear in the primary. Haven't checked for carbonation in the bottles yet. Three to four weeks is my typical time in the primary.
The rinsed yeast also has dropped crystal clear.

Back